plc and emulators

micheal

Hi everyone, i really need some help wiht my plc. I work with a AB.PLC 1400e and i've been trying to connect it to and emulator running on a lattop with the hope of downloading the "fault" infomation from the plc to a excell spreadsheet..... someone told me this was not possibe but i've been comming to this site for a while and i know "the best of the best" come here..

I am getting information but the "symbols" i can't undersand. i'm using the
TINY TERM emulator.
COM1 RS232 (SERIAL)
BAUD SPEED 2400
CODE: WYSE50
RC: STD.437.MS.DOS.LATIN-US
ST: STD.437.MS.DOS.LATIN-US

my hopes are with all of you now...

thanks in advance

mike

I'm not quite clear on where your problem lies. Help me to understand.

You said that you are trying to connect a PV1400e to an emulator (TINY TERM?). Im not familiar with that brand, but a quick Google tells me that this is a terminal emulator.

The Panelview is looking for something that it will identify as a PLC on DataHighway+. Does your emulator speak that protocol?

You also said something about "downloading the "fault" infomation from the plc to a excell spreadsheet". Again, I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's certainly possible, using a version of RSLinx that supports DDE, to have PLC data appear in Excel. It's also very easy to export annotation of "fault registers" out of RSLogix and into Excel.

Can you please provide more information about what you are trying to accomplish, and what isn't working for you?

Hey nelson, thanks for helping me out, i'll try to explain more.

The pv1400e has a print feature the defult printer setting for the pv is "epson and hp".. i'm trying to use the emulator to see the information before it's being printed and also as a "go-between" to send information to the excell spread sheet where this information will be used to help track which station has the most faults after an (8) hour shift.
Am i on the right track..?... by using the emulator and if so which one should i use.. i'm using TINY TERM... is there another brand that has an "auto set up" feature, there are so many setting wihtin the emulator program i think i'm not using the right settings. when i connect the laptop using these setting on the emulator program, data is transfered but they scroll down the screen in groups of "111ppppmmmmkkkkfff" and so on... so i am getting some type pf data it's just that it's not in english.."so to speak"..

this is what my emulator is set at..
the baud speed on the pv is also set at 2400
is there another setting on the pv i should change to enable it to communicate with the pc better?

COM1 RS232 (SERIAL)
BAUD SPEED 2400
CODE: WYSE50
RC: STD.437.MS.DOS.LATIN-US
ST: STD.437.MS.DOS.LATIN-US

i hope i did a better job explaining my case to you

once again thanks for your help

mike

Dear Sir
I have read your info and do not fully understand
I have expereience with exactly the equipment you mentioend i feel i can be of some use.

Can you bullet point your steps then i can help
thanks
ian gibb
gies uk
[email protected]

I was using SLC, PV and Zebra printer attached to PV. Print data is just an ASCII stram of data sent to printer with RS232 interface. You can use any terminal to capture and analyse this stream. Beware that
termination characters (you set those in your PV application) are
not always displayed (in your terminal emulator) and if I remeber
correctly you are limited to 80 chracters per message so longer streams need to be split into two or more messages/packets.