Slc 500

gordon.greer3

I have a AB SLC 500 Processor - 1747-L532 that I can't establish communication with. I keep getting the error message, "No response from processor at the selected path/node!" This is a new install of a OLD 4 slot PLC. Since I supplying AC to the unit, the fault light blinks once, followed by all other lights on the processor blinking 2x. Is the processor defective?

How do you have RSLinx setup? What driver are you using with RSLinx?

Is this USB-DH485 a 1747-UIC? What cables are you using and what port on your SLC5/03 are you trying to connect to?

Can you post your .RSS file ( zip it first then post)

the fault light blinks once, followed by all other lights on the processor blinking 2x. Is the processor defective?

Sofar normal.... after they blink twice what happens? does the fault light go back on and blink, if yes then this is also normal, if the fault light is solid red then you have problems

Seems to me the first thing you need to do is verify RSLinx is configured correctly. 1. Make sure your using the correct driver.
2. Sometimes after selecting a driver (RSLinx) you have to "exit and shut down" RSLinx - and then start back up again; for the new driver to take effect.

another way is to use an rs 232 port and configure rs linx with an rs 232 driver df1 and use the auto configure to establish communication

2 other things occurred to me after thinking about it.

1. If buy chance you are using a different USB port on your computer -than the last time, then:

1.a. Go into "Device Manager" (assuming you are using Windows)(and with the USB cable connected in the USB port you plan on using).
1.b. Look under "Com Ports"; is there a "?" shown here?
1.c. If so, re-install the driver for this (using the software that came with your USB cable).

2. Another thing.

2.a. Open up RSLinx.
2.b. 'click' on "Configure Drivers"
2.c. Look at the driver running for "AB USB DH485"
2.d. If it's not the correct com port - then select "STOP" located on the right hand side. (to change the driver from 'running' to 'stop')
2.e. Now 'click' on "Configure".
2.f. There is a 'pull down' menu there - select the correct Com Port (the correct com port is the com port you noticed in 'Windows' 'Device manager')

Hope this helps-
klm-

You said that the PLC is old. Did you get a new battery for it? If you changed the comm setting and then the battery was bad and the memory lost then, back to default comms.

No Communications:
Here are the settings:

Laptop - Dell running windows XP Pro, service pack 2

USB cable in COM Port (COM4) USB DH-485 Serial Port, Settings: 19200, 8bits, No Parity, 1 Stop bit, Flow control None. Driver Version 1.0.2115.0 ,connected to the Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC

Cat5 Ethernet cable via RS485 (DH485) to SLC 5/03 CPU, Processor 1747-L532, OS1747-OS301 (did not replace battery) and this is an old unit.

RSLinx Lite - Revision 2.41.00 (Build 10) 17 available Driver Types, current RS-232 DF1 devices driver. Settings on RS-232 DF1 Device: Com Port: (COM4), Device: (1770-KF3/1747-KE), Baud Rate: (19200), Station Number: (00), Parity: (None), Error Checking: (BCC), Stop Bits: (1), Protocol: (Full Duplex)

RSLogix 500 Pro - Controller Properties: (General1747-L532B 5/03 CPU - 16k Mem. OS301), Controller Communications: (Driver AB_DF1-1, Route local, Processor Node 0,

I have a new .RSS Program Open. When I try to go online I get a RSLogix 500 Pro ALERT window "No response from processor at selected path/node! DiagnosticStatus failed: 0x4"

Any Help is appreciated.

No Communications:
Here are the settings:

Laptop - Dell running windows XP Pro, service pack 2

USB cable in COM Port (COM4) USB DH-485 Serial Port, Settings: 19200, 8bits, No Parity, 1 Stop bit, Flow control None. Driver Version 1.0.2115.0 ,connected to the Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC

Cat5 Ethernet cable via RS485 (DH485) to SLC 5/03 CPU, Processor 1747-L532, OS1747-OS301 (did not replace battery) and this is an old unit.

RSLinx Lite - Revision 2.41.00 (Build 10) 17 available Driver Types, current RS-232 DF1 devices driver. Settings on RS-232 DF1 Device: Com Port: (COM4), Device: (1770-KF3/1747-KE), Baud Rate: (19200), Station Number: (00), Parity: (None), Error Checking: (BCC), Stop Bits: (1), Protocol: (Full Duplex)

RSLogix 500 Pro - Controller Properties: (General1747-L532B 5/03 CPU - 16k Mem. OS301), Controller Communications: (Driver AB_DF1-1, Route local, Processor Node 0,

I have a new .RSS Program Open. When I try to go online I get a RSLogix 500 Pro ALERT window "No response from processor at selected path/node! DiagnosticStatus failed: 0x4"

Any Help is appreciated.

I don't use the 1747-UIC, but a couple of things jump out at me.

Are you using a generic Cat 5 Cable, or the purpose built one designed for the 1747-UIC? I am not sure they are interchangeable.

If you are using the AB 1747-UIC, I believe you should be using the DH485 UIC Devices Driver which would show up as AB_UIC-1 DH-485 in your RSWho Window.

Once you have that installed, set it to COM4, and try again.

I wouldn't bother trying to get Online with the PLC until you can see it in the RSWho.

Hopefully someone with more experience with the 1747-UIC will jump in and correct me, or add more information.

Stu....

Last edited:
Out of my 17 choices of drivers I don't see that one.

I have 18 choices (Counted them) and it is the 7th from the bottom on mine which is Version 2.52. If it does not appear on your list, you will need to get a newer version of RSLinx Lite. You might have one included on an AB Install CD, it comes on most of them. Otherwise, you should be able to download it from AB.

Addendum:

You can Download RSLinx Lite from here.

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/product.asp

You will have to sign up, but all you need to qualify for RSLinx Lite is your name.

Stu......

Last edited: