Using plc to print labels

I am relatively new to using plc and have fairly limited experience with them and with programming but have been reasonably successful thus far in acomplishing what I need to with them. However I have only used them for simple inputs and outputs (switches or sensors in, lights or alarms out) but never for any kind of data communication. I am currently looking into using a plc to tell a Zebra label printer when and what to print. The goal is to have a counting scale or other device indicate automaticly that it is time to print so the operator does not have to stop production and walk over to the pc to print or have to print multiple labels ahead of time. Im thinking I would like to simply have the plc control the software (anylabel) on the pc, just check that the program is running, open appropriate file, update the serial number and date and then tell it to print. Is this the best route? Can this be done? Has anyone done this or something similar?

We use Zebra printers hooked up to Mitsubishi PLC's, If you intend to use them I could give you a sample program to download and trial it. Regards Badger.

WE have just about every Mitzi PLC in existance here, around 100 in total the most common that are hooked up to Zebra printers is the FX2n