Compact Logix & Wonderware DASABCIP 4.1

Tom Mac

I am working on a project using Wonderware with DASABCIP version 4.1, and some Compact Logix PLC's. Wonderware's literature says that DASABCIP 4.1 has been tested with Compact Logix firmware revision 17.02. My Rockwell software can install revision 17.5, but not 17.02. Has anybody tried this combination?

Minor revisions don't have any effect on features or capabilities; all the data types and functions in v17 are present in any minor revision of v17 firmware.

What do you mean?

I am not speaking for Ken Roach, he is quite capable of doing that for himself. Having said that, Ken specializes in Communications for Rockwell Products. I know from his posts on the list that he is very knowledgeable, helpful, and experienced getting all kinds of AB Products to communicate as desired. I suspect he knows a little more about the communication changes between Firmware Revisions than your Wonderware Rep.

My guess is he is saying that your Wonderware Rep is entitled to his opinion.

My question is what is the Wonderware Rep basing his assertion on?

Stu....

There's definitely, positively no difference in the data access mechanism between minor revisions of v17.

You can be confident that if the DASABCIP driver has been tested with one version of v17.x firmware that it will work the same with all versions of v17.x firmware.

Thanks for the help. As for what my Wonderware rep bases his assertions on, I have no clue. However, he has given me sound technical support in the past. And he said that he thought that the DAS server would work on the 17.5, but he could not say conclusively that it would.
I am not the expert on Wonderware or on Compact Logix. I now have two differing opinions from two experts.
I posted my question because I have a PLC set up on the bench, connected to Wonderware for testing. It seems to work ok, but when I pulled the patch cord from the computer, and then re-connected it, Wonderware-to-PLC communication did not recover.

We recently purchased a 1756-L73 with V19 installed and it has been working just fine with DASABCIP V3.5. We had V4.1SP2 on hand just in case but so far it has not been an issue

Just because it's not in the notes, doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it hasn't made it thru all the official testing yet.