Question about RSLinx OPC servers

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
A few weeks ago I asked a question here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=57620

about how fast the OPC server could update multiple tags for high speed data logging. Perhaps I didn't ask the best question and am revisiting the issue.

What has been configured is two separate OPC servers in RSLinx, one that polls at 1 second and 1 that polls at 10mSec. There are only about a dozen RSView tags that use the faster OPC server. So what we've ended up with is some tags that point to the same addresses in the PLC. What I'm actually wondering is if having two separate OPC servers running under the same RSLinx and pointed to the same PLC is optimal or undesirable?

Also, in RSView a tag can be given a scan class. Does the scan class really mean anything when using the OPC server?

Theres a properties menu in linx. I do data collection on the same dde server and all my tags are setable from .01 to 10 seconds. I had a huge problem when my boss got in to it and decided that the data needed to be collected every 10ms. cloged the ethernet so bad all messaging stoped all computer data froze.