OT American Electric Motor connections

BryanG

Not used to American motors, it seems obvious, but can you confirm that for a 460 supply you put the mains connection to T1, T2 and T3 and you link together T4 to T7, T5 to T8 and T6 to T9.

Thanks

Bryan

P1000428.jpg

Good link

The info wasn't directly for me but for a customer, on site, upgrading a machine in the States. I think if I showed him that page with all the data, his head my explode.

Bryan

A couple of months ago we made a panel for a european customer that was going to export to the US. It was an american NEMA motor. It was with Y/D start. The motor had 12 leads. We tested the system here in europe and to connect the motor I found below link:
http://www.usmotors.com/products/ProFacts/1-120-7.htm

A couple of weeks ago the customer called us from the US. The US electicians did not know how to connect. I was surprised by this is it not standard for US motors?

This is the standard way of connecting dual voltage motors here in the US. The "electricians" at the plant that have your equipment and did not know how to connect that motor with that name plate should be fired for incompetency.

This is the standard way of connecting dual voltage motors here in the US.
Music Man, To which do your refer, Bryan's 12-lead motor, or Karsten's 9-lead motor?

12-lead motors are rare in the US, although not unknown and used in some applications. More common here are the 9-lead motor type, which is simply a 12-lead motor with 3 of the leads connected together internally, because in the common US voltages, whether you connect for 240 volts or 480 volts, 3 of the coil leads always need to be connected together, so why bother to bring them outside the motor shell?

The terminals in dual-voltage US motors that are internally connected are T10 (other end of T7 coil), T11 (other end of T8 coil), and T12 (other end of T9 coil).

Last edited:
A couple of months ago we made a panel for a european customer that was going to export to the US. It was an american NEMA motor. It was with Y/D start. The motor had 12 leads. We tested the system here in europe and to connect the motor I found below link:
http://www.usmotors.com/products/ProFacts/1-120-7.htm

A couple of weeks ago the customer called us from the US. The US electicians did not know how to connect. I was surprised by this is it not standard for US motors?

Wye delta is NOT standard and MOST factory electricians would not know where to start. I would have to have or make myself a drawing of how to connect it. Even with a simple dual voltage wye or delta motor I still make a drawing just to keep my mind straight. Never did memorize the number configuration - must be a poor numerologist. But I sure know how to make a drawing and follow it.

Dan Bentler