Help: Connecting PLC to existing BACnet system

Forrest

We have a new project to setup a control panel with PLC DL205. This PLC should be able to communicate to the existing system with BACnet protocol. Actually, this is my first project to setup communication for BACnet protocol. Can someone tell me what I need to consider. I searched from the web and found that we can buy a hardware BACnet driver. Connect this hardware driver to PLC and then setup point mapping file to this BACnet driver, then our system can communicate to existing devices using BACnet protocol. Is it right?

Thank

Sorry, do you mean that the link between our PLC and BACnet driver? Actually, I am not sure how to link my PLC to BACnet driver. I also need to check it. Any suggestion?

By the way, after checking with Google I see this unit series provides Modbud to BACnet conversion. The DL205 (I would recomment the DL260 CPU) can speak Modbus RTU directly from the CPU or Modbus/TCP from an ECOM 100 Ethernet module.

Thanks bernie,

We are going to use FieldServer BACnet drivers but it seems that there is no driver supporting DL205. Am I right?

I also found that there are some MODBUS to BACnet convertors on the web. If you used the convertors before, may I have your suggestion on the model so that I can check and see how can I use them

The DL205 uses Modbus RTU via RS-232. You would need a Modbus RTU driver and the appropriate BACnet driver (MS/TP or IP, likely) programmed into the FieldServer. This would be a very easy conversion. You would just need to know how to place the data in the proper registers within the DL205.

Not to knock that Sunlux product as I have never worked with it, but the Red Lion DataStation Plus product could also be the nice go between the BACnet and Modbus comms.

Joe_WaZoo

Finally, we decided to use DL205 (CPU260) with MODBUS RTU D2-DCM, connect MODBUS RTU to FieldServer QuickServer MODBUS to BACnet, and then program the map file for FieldServer. Hope it works! (this is my first time to program BACnet)

The DL205 uses Modbus RTU via RS-232. You would need a Modbus RTU driver and the appropriate BACnet driver (MS/TP or IP, likely) programmed into the FieldServer. This would be a very easy conversion. You would just need to know how to place the data in the proper registers within the DL205.