Scada or DCS talks....?

Jeff23spl

Hi Guys

I have a funny one...

Can someone tell's me about the real difference from a real Scada and a Real DCS, my panels are always talking to a kind of computer based monitoring system and sometimes it get called "Scada" and sometimes "DCS"

On my head
Scada = computer without i/o'S
DCS = main monitoring with i/o cards

What about you guys think?

Hello Jeff;
The following artice, from SCADA Perspective, gives a better review of my opinion on the subject than I could write:
http://scadaperspective.com/pipermail/scada_scadaperspective.com/2008-February/000061.html

Quote:
Some of the confusion with SCADA and DCS is that the acronyms are rather meaningless today. That is, a DCS certainly does Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), while a SCADA system often implements a (form of a) Distributed Control System (DCS).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

thanks i wasn't too far...

But you know...i sell panel to mechanical guys that don't know much about controls and when i write "DCS" and a end user comes back saying it is a "Scada"...then "i'm wrong !" and when i write scada and another end user comes back with "DCS" word "i'm also wrong !" ...
I have no choice either than continuing changing my drawing to the end user flavor ...:)

If the only reason you're interested is for a drawings lable, why not just generically use "CONTROL"? Then it doesn't matter whether it's DCS, PLC, HMI, or SCADA...

If the only reason you're interested is for a drawings lable, why not just generically use "CONTROL"? Then it doesn't matter whether it's DCS, PLC, HMI, or SCADA...

Yes a generic term is a good idea but it is not so simple, i was joking about my drawings but it isn't the only thing...

We sometimes have customers that want's very fine details about everything...Another exemple is a request to change "1, 2, and 3" For "A,B and C" instead...! o_O

But it is parts of the game...It helps to talk about it sometimes...

ABB Compact 800 is an example of a PLC/SCADA system that can be upgraded to a full ABB 800aX DCS. The controllers are the same in the DCS and in the PLC versions.
The real difference between DCS and PLC/SCADA is the marketing ;)