Communication PC with S120 drive

krome

I have Step 7 professional and Starter install in my laptop I have tried to communicate with an S120 drive. I just want to use the Starter program I have a profibus cable that came with the training unit. I have try configuring the PG/PC using profibus with no success. Do I need a special card to install in my laptop or do I used the serial port? I took the drive training class 2 years ago trying to refresh my memory on how to commission an S120 drive.
Thanks
Rick

what do you mean by profibus adapter? The profibus cable is connected using a gender changer 9 pin connected to my serial port in my laptop going to the CU320 profibus 9 pin connection. Is there nother way to communicated with the s120 drive?

That will never work. For profibus you need a profibus adapter
What is the profibus master in your system?
You can program the drive with serial. Look under the cu. See the other 9 pin. Use a serial cable and plug in to it.
Set your pg pc adapter in Starter to serial 38400.

this is a training unit i did this 2 years ago im trying to refresh my memory i did not do a good job on taking notes. the profibus adapter is that the siemens cable use to program the plc as well?? The CU should then have another serial connection then?