Sick Bar code with 1747-SDN

corollace

Hi Folks,

My customer had old bad barcode scanner (it was on devicenet using 1747-SDN). They want to replace them with Sick barcode scanner CLV630 with CDM+CMF400 (devicenet module).

The PLC is SLC505, when I use the pass-through via ethernet, I could see all of the nodes in RSLinx if the old barcode scanner was connected. But if I removed the old scanner and installed the new Sick scanner with the same devicenet node address settings, I could not see any nodes under the 1747-SDN, on 1747-SDN showed #21, error code:73: 21 is the devicenet node address. Which means I could not configure the new scanner on the scan list.

Please help and any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I think you first option is to Upload the current Scan List from the 1747-SDN card into RS_Networx. Save that configuration on your harddrive for reference later. Then notice and write down how the previous Node #21 bar code scanner was mapped. Delete it from scan list, and do a Network Who to find the new Bar Code node #21. You may need to import the correct eds file for that new SICK node. The re-map it into the same spot as before. The only problem with this whole concept is that the SICK bar code scanner may not operate the same as the Old bar code scanner so you may need to alter the ladder logic in the PLC as well. These products are not like sensors where you can just replace brand X with brand Y. It may take some programming as well.

Instead of doing Pass-Through, I prefer to use the 1770-KFD module instead.

Thanks Joe!

I came back to my office now. I set up the enviroment with the controllogix, but the main problem now is that I could not see the barcode scanner node on the devicenet at all!

I wish I had the KFD card, but we don't have it. but it supposed to see the node on the network anyway using passthrough.:mad:

Since you lost the ability to see all the other nodes on the network, perhaps there is a wiring issue with the cabling?

I am not sure if the baud rate could cause this kind of issue. Perhaps the new reader is spitting junk on the network at a rate that is trashing all the other comms?

I would first verify 24vdc at each nodes' d-net connector, and check the baud rate and node number (switches?) again.

You'll definitely need to register the eds file for the device in order to see it with RSLinx passthrough, and to be able to configure it in RSNetworx.

Also, you probably already know this, but the scanner must be taken out of run mode before you can download the new scanlist.

Last edited:
I made it work today. I could read the barcode from barcode scanner to SLC. It's a good news!

But I had new issue: The data I got from barcode scanner, it came like "/005 00 86 13 12 34 56 78 4/00". at the beginning and the end, it always show the "/00", How could I get rid of this?

I read the data from barcode scanner to M1 file, then copy the M1 file to N file, then swap N file, at the end copy the N file to ST file. It depends on the barcode length, if empty, it alwsys show "\00\00". I don't know how to deal with this.

Thanks,

Look into the ASCII instructions, especially AEX. If your string is consistently prefixed with the same quantity of null characters, then the AEX will be simple to use. If the characters you wish to delete are not repeatable, then you may need to use the ASC (ASCII search) instruction to find the position of the unwanted characters before using the AEX (ASCII extract) instruction to truncate the string.

You may also want to investigate the settings of your reader. It may be possible to control the unwanted characters by editing the settings in the reader. It may also be possible to perform the byte swap in the reader, saving some work for your ladder logic.

Thanks-OKiePC.

I changed the mapping in devicenet scanlist, made it 7 bits offset, then everything is working fine.