Interfacing PanelView 300, Powerflex 40 and SLC503 Processor

dabanani

I have a task to interface Panelview 300 mono, one powerflex 40 drive and SLC 503 processor. I need to find the cheapest way to do this. Your help will be highly appreciated.

First I like to find the cheapest way to create a network for this setup.
Secondly Do you know if Rockwell Automation have any tech notes on setting up communication between slc503 and powerflex 40 drive., I understand powerflex 40 do have DH485 port
We do have bunch of 1747-PIC link coupler. Can I use these link couplers to setup network between these three devices?

Thank you all for your input.

Unless there is something I do not know (which is highly possible)...The port on the PowerFlex you are referring to is NOT for DH485 communication.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Catalog number for panleView 300 is 2711K3A5L1 FRN 4.2.
Processor is SLC 503 and Powerflex 40 with RS485 port and 22-comm-E adapter.

Can RS 485 network be used to accomplish the network part of this project? If I can use RS232 to RS485 converter for PanelView 300, SLC503 processor and the computer to be used to download the program. If this is possible then I can have all the three components talk to each other.

Please let me know what your input on this is.

Thanks

I would use hardwired control between the SLC and the PF40, and use the DH485 port for the PV300.

What is the drive going to be doing? Do you need to vary the speed? Does it need multiple speed presets? If so, how many?

Is this just an exercise in automation in a bench top type environment? If this is a real machine application, please give us a description.

Sorry for the late reply. We are trying to build a heating and air conditioning unit that will totally be controlled by Allen Bradley SLC 500 PLC with 503 processor. We are tying to build it as cheap as possible because its going be for demonstration only. All the controls and status will be on Panel View 300 terminal.
We need to set three or more preset speeds for the motor which will primarily drive the fan

I was looking into hard wiring and realize that I could use the analog card to set up my preset speeds. Previously, we wanted to indicate all the status bit of the drive on the Panel View 300 since the terminal and the drive will be in separate locations. However I think I can getaway without drive status bit indication.

So finally, I am planning on hardwiring the Drive and the Panel view will directly connect to the processor through a serial cable.

Let me know if you have any suggestion for me.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Since you have an analog output card, you can have as many adjustable speeds as you desire. You can control the drive with discrete signals for enable and run forward. You can wire the drive relay contact as an input to monitor the drive status. By default, the relay is assigned to close when the drive is ready, and open when it is faulted. This is not as good as knowing the exact fault code, but is better than nothing.

Often, we change that relay function to "At Speed", so we know when the drive is finished accelerating or decelerating and is running at the commanded speed. This gives proof of the run command working, but will open briefly during speed changes, will open if the drive stalls out due to overload, and will open if the drive is faulted. Your application might benefit from this level of proof, but it might not be necessary for just a demo.

Do you have analog inputs available? If so, you can use the VFD analog output to indicate the drive output frequency, output current, or power.

These signal will give you a lot of diagnostics without the hassle of communicating with it directly. I don't think the SLC 5/03 can speak modbus with its serial port, but I may be mistaken.

Since you have the handy-dandy 22-comm-e module, you could do ethernet messaging to get the drive status, and send speed commands, but I am not sure if this will work over a NET-ENI module. I think it could be done, but have not tried that. The 1761-NET-ENI module bridges the SLC serial port to ethernet, so if you have one of those laying around, you may want to give it a try.

Do you have Panelbuilder32 software for the PV300 programming?

Thank you OkiePC for your input.
I do have both analog input and analog output. I understand how to indicate speed coming from the drive through analog card but you mentioned, current and power how is this achieved through the analog card. Do I need to setup math instruction to calculate current and power from the speed. Or is there an output from the drive that will give power and current?

Finally do you know if there are actuators that can be used to open vents? For example If I want to proportionally open the vent based on the room's temperature, what kind of actuator canb eused to rotatrionally open the vent.

Thanks

I understand how to indicate speed coming from the drive through analog card but you mentioned, current and power how is this achieved through the analog card. Do I need to setup math instruction to calculate current and power from the speed. Or is there an output from the drive that will give power and current?

Look in the manual for your drive. The analog output can be configured via parameters to indicate one of many different things. You will need to choose what you want, and program accordingly. If there are multiple analog channels available, you can use each to indicate a different parameter. I am away from work and don't have quick access to those manuals.

Finally do you know if there are actuators that can be used to open vents? For example If I want to proportionally open the vent based on the room's temperature, what kind of actuator can be used to rotationally open the vent.

At work we use Honeywell actuators to drive dampers on some of our HVAC equipment. They use 120vac for power and take a 4-20mA signal for a position command. They are quite bulky and expensive though, and I am sure there are dozens of mfgs of similar devices that might better suit your needs.

Just figure out how much power you need to move the vents (bear in mind fan pressure that may be applied) and also the range of motion you need.

..... If there are multiple analog channels available, you can use each to indicate a different parameter. ......

The PowerFlex only has one Analog Output, so without communications with the drive to change it's association to Freq, Volts, Amps, etc., it's only going to be good for one of the choosable measurements.

Using a PLC Analog Output for speed command may be overkill... with 3 PLC Dig.outs wired to Dig-In1, 2, and 3 on the drive, you can choose up to 8 different preset speeds, set on the drive itself. I'm sure for a ventilation system, a PLC-controlled speed setpoint may just be over-engineering the solution.

With the input selector switch at SRC (Source), the inputs can be directly connected to a PLC's 24V output, providing the digital common (Tmnl 4) is connected to the PLC output module common.

Incidentally, the SRC and SNK selections (dip switch on the drive PCB) for the digital inputs is confusing - and refers to what the Inputs do, not what the drive does with the inputs. SRC means you have to source +24 to the input to make it work, SNK means the drive presents +24V on the input terminal, which the external contact has to Sink to common to make it work.

As well as the Relay Output, which Okie rightly points out can be programmed at the drive (Parameter A055) to indicate one of many status's, there are also 2 "opto" outputs, which can also be programmed (Parameters A058 and A061), from the same list of options. These could drive a couple of small signal relays, and you now have 3 status signals available from the drive. The options are shown in the drive's quick-start manual, 22B-QS001E-MI-P, page English-16.

Keep in mind that if you physically open the damper 50% it is not half the air flow. They are not linear.
So what are you planning to vary? Speed of the fan, pressure, damper position, etc?
I have seen a system that had a pulse rate counter on the fan blade. It was used to scale the air speed from 0~100% they didn't look at the pressure or fan speed. They did look at the temperature of the air. Then use a damper to restrict air flow and either decrease the temp in cooling or increase the temp in heating mode.