Bytronics ICT 1

Jessiko555

Hi I am trying to write a program on RSLogix using ladder logic to make this ICT work. A photo is attached here: http://www.antrak.org.tr/gazete/032004/cizimler/mehmet-tastan/sekil3.JPG

I've gotten the 2 conveyor belts to turn on, and the first sensor to kick the rings down the chute and to bypass the pegs, but I can't seem to make my counters work.

The chute can only hold 5 rings at a time. I've used a CTU to count up to 5 pegs, but I gathered I also need a CTD to count down as the rings are dispensed at the bottom of the chute.

When I tested and tried with just a CTU, the counter worked fine and the sensor bypassed any rings once the counter was full.

HOWEVER, once I inserted a CTD, this disabled the CTU so both counters did not work anymore and the sensor kept shooting the rings down the already full chute.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? My partner and I have scoured our textbooks and class notes and have no clue as how to fix this problem.

I thought an OSR might fix the problem, but I've no idea what to put for the storage and output bits or how it would be implemented in this.

Post your .RSS file. (zip it first) Then tell the forum where this counter is in your program and someone can take a look.

Reading this it seems like a perfect application for a FIFO stack to keep track of your products.

Doing a google search on FIFO should help, and I think you will have access to a function in RSLogix.

Though this isn't object oriented, and is a simple count up and count down, the experience of learning this technique should help you immensely.

Also, post your code! Sounds like you have an addressing issue.

Hi I am trying to write a program on RSLogix using ladder logic to make this ICT work. A photo is attached here: http://www.antrak.org.tr/gazete/032004/cizimler/mehmet-tastan/sekil3.JPG

I've gotten the 2 conveyor belts to turn on, and the first sensor to kick the rings down the chute and to bypass the pegs, but I can't seem to make my counters work.

The chute can only hold 5 rings at a time. I've used a CTU to count up to 5 pegs, but I gathered I also need a CTD to count down as the rings are dispensed at the bottom of the chute.

When I tested and tried with just a CTU, the counter worked fine and the sensor bypassed any rings once the counter was full.

HOWEVER, once I inserted a CTD, this disabled the CTU so both counters did not work anymore and the sensor kept shooting the rings down the already full chute.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? My partner and I have scoured our textbooks and class notes and have no clue as how to fix this problem.

I thought an OSR might fix the problem, but I've no idea what to put for the storage and output bits or how it would be implemented in this.

What exact AB PLC are you using. As requested, the best way for us to help you is for you to post your PLC File (zip it first). The OSR is unnecessary, as Counters have a One Shot built in.

There are other ways of handling this. A simple Add/Subtract and Compare using an N Register might handle what you want to do better.

Stu.....

I am not able to enclose a zip file as I don't have the program on a home computer, but I have enclosed a screen shot of what our lab looks like so far. I hope this is readable!

lab12.jpg

Reading this it seems like a perfect application for a FIFO stack to keep track of your products.

Doing a google search on FIFO should help, and I think you will have access to a function in RSLogix.

Though this isn't object oriented, and is a simple count up and count down, the experience of learning this technique should help you immensely.

Also, post your code! Sounds like you have an addressing issue.

a FIFO code would be good for the reject solenoid but I think only counters are needed for the ring chute. However, it's still not working =/

I'm pretty sure your CTU/CTD logic is good.

Is the input that is controlling the CTD staying steady, or is it by chance flickering and counting down numerous times? I have in the past sealed in a CTU/CTD instruction with the .EN (Enabled) Bit and dropped it out with something else that happens later to help debounce an input, or only count up/down once on an event until something later happens.

Edit:
I think it's actually the .CU (Count Up) or .CD (Count Down) bits you will want to use for the seal in, I am not sure if the counter has a .EN bit.

Edit 2:
Looking at rung 8 of your posted code, the TCHUTE timer. What drops that out? It seems once it is enabled and done, it will be done forever.

Last edited:
Well the CTU and CTD do their count, but only one full count.
As far as I've been taught, there is no .EN bit for a counter, just the .CU but we've never used it before.

As for the TCHUTE, there is a .DN bit on rung 7 so it loops around does this repeatedly.