Current Sensor

winch

Is there a current sensor available that can measure a three phase 480 Vac with a rating of 18 A? I would like to do an automated monitoring system for the current draw for our heating elements. i have more than 180 elements to monitor. Is there something available that i can sort of networked to a single controller and be able to monitor all current draw for each elements?

Using current transformer is bad idea?
You can convert secondery of current transformer (generally AC 5A) to 4-20mA with weidmüller convertors.Then you can send this information to your controller.

There are current transformers that convert directly to 4-20 mA. We use some from Carlo Gavazzi.
You should install a compact distributed i/o of your choice (Profibus, Devicenet, Can, whatever) to collect all the 4-20mA signals.
What controller or fieldbus do you have in mind ?

ABB Current Monitoring Relay

If you are monitoring electric heat, the load amperage draw will be consistent.

I assume you are looking for a simple pass/fail (heater burnout detection) digital relay, as opposed to actual current transducer, which would provide anaolg signal proportional to amperage draw.

Here is a link to ABB CM-LWN motor load monitors.

http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329...fe00302388.aspx?productLanguage=us&country=US