Is it wise to upgrade plc5 to control logix

amu_bgr

We wre using plc 5/20 and plc 5/30 in our plant.now the processor is giving some hardware problem. Is it wise to upgrade the processor to control logix.

Depends on what your system requirements are. If you are doing straight digital or analog I/O you could use a SLC 500 or even a micrologix. You will need RSLogix 500 to program them. If you go with controllogix or compactlogix you will need RSLogix 5000 and it isn't cheep. Maybe you could post your system I/O requirements to get a better answer.

If you are going to migrate from PLC5 you should know the SLC platform is being phased out. It would seem pointless to migrate to SLC.

In addition to ControlLogix, CompactLogix is what you should look at. CompactLogix uses Logix5000 software and replaces SLC500. It should do your PLC5 application, if not then you go ControlLogix.

The hardware is different between CompactLogix and ControlLogix but they share the same software: Logix5000.

Saying things like that is just spreading FUD. SLC is not going away anytime soon. Do you have a press release or document?

OG

Last edited:
"giving some hardware problem"

What exactly does that mean ? If it's the CPU, replace the CPU with a new PLC-5 controller.

If the problems are with 30-year old eight-point 1771 modules, then you have a better case for migration to a new controller.

Saying things like that is just spreading FUD. SLC is not going away anytime soon. Do you have a press release or document?

OG
While the SLC won't be going anywhere anytime soon, development of new products has definitely come to a crawl. If you were preparing to make a longterm investment in hardware and training for a migration from the PLC5, wouldn't it make sense to give more consideration to the Controllogix/Compactlogix platform?

I would extend the argument into lifecycle costs.

In our plant, we have done an analysis on the lifetime of the plant, the age of the control system, costs of maintenance of the equipment.

In the areas that it makes sense, we are upgrading to ControlLogix as funds become available. In other areas, we are running to failure.

What we are finding is that the PLC5 hardware is becoming more and more expensive as the years progress. Even becoming Silver Series in some areas. Don't even get me started on the IO cards.

While the same Silver Series issues do somewhat come into effect with ControlLogix, there is a direct replacement available (L55 went Silver Series - replace with L6x).

In essence, do a cost analysis. Be sure to compare you existing with future development areas. One thing that I take into account is the software costs including licensing, and on-going support. I keep our spare inventory low by selecting only a few components to use. I don't have a large array of processors and software.

While the SLC won't be going anywhere anytime soon, development of new products has definitely come to a crawl. If you were preparing to make a longterm investment in hardware and training for a migration from the PLC5, wouldn't it make sense to give more consideration to the Controllogix/Compactlogix platform?

I don't disagree at all although you have to admit that the Micro 1100 and 1400 are recent products as well as the rumored Micro 800.

I just take issue with "phased out". That is pure FUD. I too would consider moving any existing PLC-5 systems to a 5000 based system (not to SLC) but I wouldn't necessarily do the same for a SLC system.

OG

Yes, about the same here. USB is neat but could really care less. How much I/O and how many expansions. That's what I want to know

On the 800

Can be programmed from standard USB, with removable add-on modules, such as serial cards for ascii etc.

First to be released will be the 810. Afaik

Another item to consider is which software you already own.

If you don't own either RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5000, I'd be looking at going the 5000/ControlLogix route. If you're needing to make the investment in software, I'd pick one package/platform, not both.

If you already own RSLogix 500, then (and only then) would I consider the MicroLogix products.

That being said, I wouldn't just change the hardware for the sake of changing the hardware. Exactly what problems you're having would help us help you make that decision. Right now, we don't know if you're just tired of the PLC5's and are looking for an "excuse" to change them, or if you're really having real problems that justify the change.

We also know you haven't been back to this forum to check the answers to your question.

Last edited: