White black to A
Blue black to B
Green back to Z

Getting a pulse on a and b just can't set
A tag to monitor a count up on a conveyor
When container passes a pe then stop on
Another pe then reset the count and start
Over. Any help?

Once you have placed the card in the CompactLogix I/O list the Control/Input/Output I/O tags should have appeared automatically. One thing I always forget, turn on the Enable bit for the counter.

I can see I module it's a block compactlogix l23e how do you
Set up so that it can be used to count
The distance the conveyor travels then
Reset to repeat the count?

I haven't used the block style (L23) so my notes may not be totally helpful. In general you will reset and enable in the logic on the first condition then read and store the count on the second condition.

From the manual:

Both the 1769-L23-QBFC1B and 1769-L23E-QBFC1B packaged controllers
provide high-speed counter functionality similar to that of the 1769-HSC
module.

Once the controller is specified the HSC shows up in the 'Embedded I/O' list. Right click, choose 'Properties' and perform the setup.​

Once you have the setup done open, under 'Controller Tags', Local:4:C, Local:4:I and Local:4:O for the control, input and output tags.

Find the manual for the 1769-HSC card. The operation is very similar and the documentation for the L23 HSC operation seems to be a list of differences between it and the 1769-HSC card.

found the enable bit. I'm now getting a value in my tag I called encoder_0 now just have to find the reset for the value after I get the count needed.

Thanks, been a challange. I working on it. thinking about using the enable bit and softpreset bit to start and reset the count. will probably use a compare to get my indexing q's.