Faulting 5-03 processors

BartAnderson

5-03 processors are being used to monitor lift stations remotely with a SCADA system. Problem is a processor will fault and when I reload the program and put the processor in run mode it instantly faults. Will take a different processor and load the program into it and it will run and not fault when I put it in the same rack. The faulted processor does the same thing in any rack I put it into. Have shorted the VBB to Gnd with battery removed (default), and reloaded program still faults. Is it a bad processor? Or am I missing something?

Welcome to the forum.

Most likely the SLC is faulty. I say this assuming you successfulyl defaulted it and loaded a known valid program and had known good I/O cards installed with it that matched that program.

But, to know for sure, you should connect to it using RSLogix500 (while in the faulted state) and check the processor status words to see what the specific error codes are.

A SLC will fault if its I/O is not an exact match for its program, if a timer preset somehow gets a negatvie number stuck in it, if there is an untrapped divide by zero or other math overflow, if it is set up for an EEPROM and finds the EEPROM missing...

So, it's a good idea to check the processor status words to find out why it is faulted before you completely give up on it.