AB PLC2 Program Conversion

Larry B

Can anyone help! I have 170 rungs of digital logic written in PLC-2 RSI Ver 6.25. Would like to convert to RSLogix 500 format. From the AB knowledge base there was a conversion utility called; TOPLC5.exe and LIB2PC5.exe. Cannot find the software. Seems like the local AB guys are reluctant to get involved. Any help would be appreciated.

do the convertion by hand. you will get a better understandingof what i going on in the logic.

As far as I know you still have to buy the conversion software and it is very expensive. And as Mickey pointed out, it only converts to PLC/5.

Manually converting only 170 rungs to SLC500 LL should only take about a day, maybe two if there is math and analog involved. You can download the PLC/2 manuals from the AB literature library.

I assume you have a copy of the PLC/2 software or a hard copy print out of it. If you don't and you need to upload it from the PLC then you might want to take a look at http://plc2software.com/

Good luck and if you get stuck on something we will be happy to assist.

After thinking about this I have to ask...

Are you converting a PLC/2 to a SLC500 platform? Because if you are choosing a SLC500 over converting a PLC/2 to a PLC/5 then you may be taking a step in the wrong direction. The PLC/5 is a superior platform and it has a superior instruction set. Both the PLC/5 and SLC are getting long in the tooth but the PLC/5 is probably going to be in support for at least 30 more years, IMO probably longer than the SLC platform. And while a PLC/5 processor costs more than a SLC processor, it works with the 1771 IO and chassis you already have with the PLC/2. So total cost will probably be less if you do a PLC/5. And after you have the program converted the hardware conversion takes only minutes (power down, swap processors, power up, download). The one hic-up is if you have RSLogix5 or not. Even if you don't and have to buy a copy you might still be ahead when you consider conversion time costs.

I wouldn't use the SLC for anything new. If you are set on sticking with the Logix500 then I'd choose a ML1400 over a SLC as long as you don't need any specialty IO. If you are converting the PLC platform then consider a CompactLogix over a SLC. The CompactLogix costs less than a SLC does and it is far superior.

Just some fodder for your consideration. Either way we'll be happy to assist were we can.

When you manually convert the program you can take full advantage of the features in the newer PLC platform. I have had some 300 rung conversions that ended up being 250 rungs after the conversion. PLC 2 wouldn't let you do nested branches and you had to manually build your one shots. On the other hand I never had a T3 programming terminal lock up on me like Windows does.

Usually when you do a PLC2 conversion you can more easily use the exiting 1771 I/O and just replace the processor with a PLC5. I did a PLC2 to SLC500 conversion years ago and I did use the conversion software. I then "copied" the PLC5 code to the SLC and did a lot of search & replace command to get it to work in a SLC. AS everyone has said it might be better in the long rung to manually do the conversion. You might also want to think about upgrading to a compact/controllogix platform.

As was said earlier 5 is better then 500, several years ago we replaced 11 with 5 changed the program by hand replaceed the processor and done

These guys do good conversion work http://www.**************.com/

But as mentiond earlier it would be better to go from plc2 to plc5 and just change the processor and save the I/O if possible. If it is a plc 2 mini then the power supply will need to be removed and a slot mount power supply installed to use the same chasis.

I have done plc 2 to plc 5 and slc. Some converted and some by hand. 170 rungs i would do myself. If you have software to print a report of the old plc 2 program and then make a pdf file of it the conversion is not that bad. Helps to have dual monitors also :D

IMHO if i was doing a conversion though i would be moving to compact or contrologix for the money and effort involved.

I dont agree with that the PLC 5 is so superior over the SLC500.
Instruction set is very similar on the two platforms. Performance is also in the same class too.

You cant plug an SLC500 CPU in a 1771 rack, but you can go via a 1747-SN and 1771-ASB.

Also worth mentioning is to go ControlLogix and 1756-DHRIO.

Not saying which is best. But all these options are certainly possible.
Me, I would ditch the old hardware completely and replace by a completely new system which you can choose freely. You have to do that sooner or later anyway.

The plc 5 system has always been considered superior to slc. Slc was intended for smaller applications.

I know entire plants that are ran by 1 plc 5 system and i doubt you well ever see that with a slc system.

In 90% of most applications it does not matter because you are only using a fraction of the power of either system but in large applications the plc 5 always wins.

The PLC-5 is very much superior to the SLC in everything except size and cost.

I have seen five PLC5 cabinets filled with water while running and they all survived (lost a couple of output cards, and one had to be reloaded).

They are vastly more powerful with communications, not on the level of the Logix PLCs, but can handle way more than the SLC.

I have only seen one actual PLC fault due to a hardware problem and it was a 12 year old power supply that croaked a few years later.

If RA had made a Logix CPU for the 1771, no-one would buy anything else.