New Laptop and Old S5

Prince

I made a tiny mistake, I bought a laptop without looking at its related thread on the site. So I made 2 big mistakes first it is very heavy and second it does not have serial RS232 port.

Thanks god, PLCs in our main site can be programmed through ethernet . for the others and for the time that the hardware is not configured I could use my USB to serial port without any problem (it would include S7 300 and S7 400 CPUs) but I still have one problem I have an old PLC I must service which is working with an S5 115U. I can not work with it any more and it is a headache. can Anybody help me find a solution connecting the PLC through the connector I mentioned ?

Sorry for my English

You probably can use s5 for windows. http://www.graf-automation.de/english/didactic/software/s5/ This is not a siemens developed software but it works. Since it uses windows com port setting it should work with a usb/serial converter but iam not sure. i use v4.14 whenever i have to work with old s5 programs. And i never encountered any serious trouble using it. It not the worlds most user friendly program but its much more easy to use than step5.

An alternative is to use an Ethernet to Serial converter .
The converter will come with a driver that creates a virtual serial port . The serial port is really an ethernet connection to the converter.

In this way, software that requires a serial port for communication, can connect over ethernet.

Search an google for "Ethernet to Serial converter" and you should get several hits. MOXA is one of them.