PV enhancad to PV+ conversion

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a chance to do 20+ PV conversion. The 1400 are on RIO I have never programmed a PV on RIO so it will be a fun one I am sure.
Anybody have pointers as far as what conversions pitfalls to watch out for? I a not very good with the PV+ yet so this will help that curve I hope.

Last edited:
I recently had to do one that had dh485, whilst the conversion was relatively straight forward, getting the comms to work was more trying.
I think the issue was something to do with the Ethernet driver being in the runtime communications, but deleting that from the tree seemed to solve the issue.

This I see as your only potential issue.

I would actually recommend pursuing alternatives, mostly migration to Ethernet.

Conversion of PV1400E with RIO to PV+ looks easy on paper, but in practice can be complex and difficult.

I geared up to do a dozen of these a few years ago so I was able to take advantage of economies of scale; once I figured out a workaround or technique I was able to apply it broadly.

Among my concerns is that the 2711P-RN6 DH+/RIO module is not planned to be supported by the next-generation PV+ hardware and FTView 6 that will be releasing next year (you'll see them at Automation Fair). The older hardware will be supported for about 5 years, but not the 15 years you got out of the 1400e.

I'm preparing a 1200 Classic migration using options of RIO/Ethernet bridges or IP-over-twisted-pair for a customer who cannot run new cable to their PanelView locations.

I'm preparing a 1200 Classic migration using options of RIO/Ethernet bridges or IP-over-twisted-pair for a customer who cannot run new cable to their PanelView locations.
Thanks Ken I was hoping you would shed some light on this. RIO to ethernet bridge? Tell me more please.

Really? So with FTView ME 6.0 DH+/RIO comms will NOT be supported? That's the first I've heard of that. Interesting! I thought RA would support those two protocols forever.

I have not seen anything official about what is in or out with the new FTView 6.0 software and firmware.

What I understand is that the drivers that require you to make Aliases to I/O objects will be discontinued. That includes scheduled ControlNet, RIO, and DeviceNet.

That doesn't include unscheduled ControlNet or DH+. So I suppose that support of those protocols via the 2711P-RN6 and 2711P-RN15 cards are subject to speculation.

If I had a wishlist for the new RSLinx Enterprise in v6, it would include explicit messaging directly to native CIP objects, an I/O object on EtherNet/IP, and the ability to bridge through 1756-DHRIO modules to remote PLC/SLC on DH+.

RSLinx Enterprise developers learned years ago to keep their mouths shut about features until they're tested and shipped.

Remember that I'm talking specifically about the PanelView Plus platform. FTView ME Station and SE projects will have access to DH+ and ControlNet drivers through RSLinx Classic indefinitely.

Ken wha about that RIO to Enet bridge. I hope you are not ging to tell me a CLX with DHRIO and ENBT. They have 4 or 5 1400 next to each other in one big desk.

Jeff, the device I'm looking at is the Adapter version of the ABRIO device made by Quest Technical Solutions:

http://qtsusa.com/ab.html

I understand that the Adapter version isn't in production yet so it's part of my strategy, not something I can run right away.

It will act like a 1771-ASB adapter on the RIO side, and will provide a data table I can read (hopefully) from the PanelView Plus on the Ethernet side. That's not its designed role, and I am not totally certain it will work, but it's part of my investigation.

In my case I don't need to replace all the PanelView 1200 Classics; I just need to build one replacement that can be dropped into place when any one of the units in the field fails. Eventually there will be fiber Ethernet in the building and we'll have a clean TCP/IP path back to the ControlLogix, so they Classics just have to last for a few more years.

ken have you ever used those data converters that clase to replace KE, KF,etc. I think they are sold under about 5 different names. One of the website is www.ABgateways.com. Just thought that maybe you would have ran across them.

What I understand is that lots of people have done One installation of a Panelview on RIO, there are only a few that decided it was worth doing a second.

My suggestion would be to take the Comms from DH+ to DH+ PV, or DH+ to Ethernet to PV