Step / : error in my DB's after editing its associated UDT

buhnen

Hi all!

I'm getting a very annoying error by third time already. From time to time I'm doing some editing of parametres in my UDT. When I double click on one of the associated DB's for opening it in the DataBlock parameter assigment editor, what I get is that all the DB parametres go automaticlly renamed (as seen in the attachement) to STAT variables , and moreover, the user comments are gone too! o_O

how can I avoid this to happen again? :confused:
Sometimes I do really hate STEP 7's lack of flexibility

Thanks in advance

DB variable names changed.jpg error message.JPG

Last edited:
I assume this is a UDT in an instance DB.

Open the FB that uses this instance DB, and the UDT will be in red in the STAT area. Right click on this and click on Update Declaration.

Save the FB and close it.

Open the function that calls this FB. Select File...Check and Update Accesses.

Hope it helps
SS

Thanks for your attention Stevie,

In this case it's not about FB's or instance DB's but DB's derived from UDT. This problem doesn't involve, as far as I know, FC's or FB's.
I'm editing a variable inside the UDT which is originally a REAL type but I now need it to be an INT.

This change should be applied to all the DB's which are derived from that UDT. But this problem shows up instead.... ¿ ?

mmmm...I have 20 DB's which should be updated for the UDT they are derived from ...I'm doing multiple selection of all of them in the SIMATIC Manager folder of blocks....but now where in the menu can I find the updating command?

Maybe you could try compiling the project - that usually sorts out these updated references. Right click on the Blocks folder and select Check Block Consistency

In the next window, select your DB in the drop down box. Then right click on it in the bottom window and select Compile.

Last edited:
So I've done it...and again the same error. The online help says the following about the error:

Description of Error:

The description of the parameters and local variable names has a different time stamp to the interface of the open block. The parameters and local variables are therefore displayed as pseudo-symbols and without comments.
This conflict results when you open a block if:

· Interface changes made online were not saved in the S7 user program offline and now the online block was opened.

· Interface changes made offline were not downloaded to the CPU and now the online block was opened.

· The interface of a function block or UDT was changed and now the associated instance data block or the data block derived from the UDT was opened.

· An online block which already had a time stamp conflict was copied to the S7 user program offline and now the offline block was opened.

To Correct or Avoid Error:

Avoid the procedures described above.

My particular case is :

· The interface of a function block or UDT was changed and now the associated instance data block or the data block derived from the UDT was opened.

but the given solution doesn't make sense. I guess I'm not the only one who edits an UDT after having created its derived DB's . This functionality is essential for debugging

Aha! that was it! ...I simply had right-clicked the block folder and select "Check Block consistency" . A new window showed up but I hadn't eventually compiled the defective blocks .

...Yes, I've been a long time into A-Bradley stuff and I'm still at a loss with the moving back to Step 7...

Thanks a lot for your help! ;)