Siemens PG675

Blimey! that's an old piece of equipment.
First of all have you got the s5 software, to load up
It's CPM based so a bit like the old dos.
it depends on a lot of things, it would be easier to load the eprom into the processor if you have one then upload to the pg & save it to disk, I seem to remember that the 675 has an eprom reader but can't remember how to use it, perhaps there are a few others here that can remember that far back.
I will try to dig out an old manual if I can find one but don't hold out much hope.

All I have is the PG675 programmer itself and the EPROM module out of the processor. I would like to read the program from the processor, and there is a socket on the PG675 but I dont know the keystrokes to read the module. When I turn on the programmer it asks for a disk. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I am pretty sure without the disk and the software your stuffed - tell me they are not 5 1/4 " !!!

Why do you want to read the program ? Alteration / Backup / New PLC ?

Have you got Step 5 software for a laptop ? That would be FAR easier !

The 675 had to floppy drives. The Step5 program was on 2 diskettes that should be inserted in the left drive (FD0?) one after another. When the system was loaded, you could transfer from the EPROM block A to FD1 (2?), and probably also read directly from the EPROM.

But what kind of cpu do you have? It should be possible to read out from the prog interface to a modern PC. You will need a usb adaptor cable and a Step5 from Siemens or demo S5 software from PI or IBH.

Kalle

The processor is a Z8-110

It has a EPROM module on the front of it.

The PG675 has two 5 1/4" drives on it.

I want to replace this old Siemens, so I wanted to read
this old program so I could see what its doing.

I have S5 software on my laptop but I dont see a port
on the processor for my cable.

Any advice..??

It could be an S5-110. It was modular.
Or an S5-100U. It was big bricks.

If it is an S5-110, then I think (not sure) that you had to install a special module in stead of the EPROM module in order to upload or download. So reading from the EPROM may be the best solution.

One problem is the PG675. A dinosaur from a forgotten time. Two floppy drives (single sided 5.25"), one drive for CPM and the programming software (*), and the other drive to hold the STEP5 project files. The formatting of the floppies was proprietary. Even if you could upload or read the EPROM, you would have trouble getting the program printed or transferred to 3.5" floppies.

I would try to locate someone with a never PG, one that can transfer the program files to 3.5" DOS floppies.

If the PLC is an S5-110, then I am not 100% sure that a regular STEP5 knows how to interpret the program. Someone else may confirm it.

* Yes, they crammed both operating system AND a fully functional STEP5 on a singe 360 kB floppy !

Last edited:
Ok, it is an 110A. To go online you will need a PG630/631 or 670 with a special cable to be placed in the EPROM slot.

I think, but am not sure (don't recall), that you need a special version of the Step5 to read the EPROM with the PG675 also.

Perhaps there is an archeolog near by that can help you?

Kalle

Well...Im not getting an optimistic feeling here..!!!
I dont have any disks or cables, just the PG itself.
I was just hoping I could read the EPROM and see the program
and then rewrite it on something else.
But, thanks for ALL your help.
Maybe I can find some integrator that has all the stuff to read it.

What sort of machine is it (idea of how large the program is) ?

You may be better just writing from scratch, it could well be quicker !