Staying Organized

The Plc Kid

We use a file naming convention like MACHINE NAME_V001_V001_MMDDYYYY for our program backups. Where the first V001 indicates the hardware revision and only be updated if the hjard ware changed and the second V001 is for program changes. The plc program is normally in a folder with this same name and there is a text file containing info about the revisions that were made. These revision notes are kept in the plc documentation also.
In our backups directory we have a folder for each line the a sub folder for each piece of eqipment on that line and example would be Packaging line # 1 then the sub folders would be Filler,Box errector,palletizer,etc.
In the palletizer folder we would have a folder for plc programs,drive programs,hmi programs,etc. In the Backups\packaging line 1\palletizer\plc programs directory\ we would have folders with various versions/revisions of the progam and their associated notes.
This works great for us but one issue that i am trying to resolve is that which files go with each other?
For example i may have revisions 1-25 of the plc program and revision 1-13 of the filler vfd program because the vfd program does not change each time the plc program does.
I am looking for some ideas on how to keep the multiple files organized to work with each other. Using this example if i had to go back to rev 18 of the plc program which vfd program would i use?
This is what i need to work on next and wanted to gather ideads on the best way to handle this?

In the 'line' folder create a folder named 'current'. Within it create a replica of your backup line folders but with only the current running program of each item.

Here's one idea...

Let's say you're at V3 on both the PLC and VFD. Then, you make a change to the PLC program only, so now it's at V4. What I would do is make an identical copy of the V3 VFD program, but name it V4, so it matches the PLC program. Yes, V3 and V4 are identical, but does it really matter? It's not like they're huge files that take up disk space.

🍻

-Eric

Bernie / Eric

I like both those ideas. Maybe i need to just have program sets that contain all files for that equipment and thn make versions of those.

I like the current folder idea in addition to this. Quick place for techs to fnd the crrect version.

As a side note is it of value to store the manuals for the plch ard hardware with the program files like the manuals for each module and such?

Also

Currently we have a directoey that goes Allen Bradley/Drives/Powerflex 700/

All power flex 700 manuals are stored there and tere are shortcuts in each machine file to them. Example if palletizer 1 has pf 700 drives in it's manuals directory it would have a shortcut to this folder. Orwould you guys store them in each machines directory? it would just be storing them multiple times. What do you guys think is best an why?

You should absolutely include the manuals in those directories. Multiple copies of PDFs might become a size issue though. PDFs can be quite large. I think a shortcut is fine, as long as the target doesn't get moved or deleted.

Also try to get as much as possible into electronic format. It's great to have a hard copy of schematics, etc. in the panel, but these should also exist in the folder along with everything else. Try to keep these updated as well when wiring changes, etc. are made.

And don't forget backups! Local AND off site (or in 'the cloud')... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

Has anybody looked at using a SVN solution?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Users can check out old revisions, make changes and 'commit' changes to the repository. Big exclamation point on the file/folder alerts the user that the version they have does not match the latest rev in the repo.

It's 100% free as well. Just curious hope I am not threadjacking

Make an Access database and embed the files you want into the database. One file (large) to keep track of.

i may be primitive but i simply use the date when i make a backup or changes something (with notes of what ive changed and why).
It doesnt contain much infomation in the name but you know wich file is most up to date :)

Here we have folders on the network. For example
C:\Controls\Cell 1\
In that folder we have a folder for each device PLC, HMI, VISION, SERVO etc..

Each of these folders have the same layout.
In C:\Controls\Cell 1\PLC\
In the PLC folder you will find:
-Archive - A folder with old programs
-Cell_1_20101026 - The current program
-Cell_1_ChangeLog.txt - A notepad file with changes that have been made.

We use FT asset center for version and code control but this is just a manual system i had in place before we got asset center and i keep it now for a second system backup.

Can't have too many backups.

We use FT asset center for version and code control but this is just a manual system i had in place before we got asset center and i keep it now for a second system backup.

Can't have too many backups.

Are you using the disaster recovery module as well? We just started using it and it seems to work well.

Our system folder system is based on production line and machine name.
we then have folders for requirements (what we are required to do from each customer), mech drawings, elec drawings, plc,
hmi, panelview, drives, vendors, manuals, setup.

we then name the program names similar to your method.
but remember, the program in the device is always the master copy, doesn't matter what's in the pc. Always import and merge with file documentation, then save as master.

regards,
james

James

I do something similar . Before i make edits i compare what is running resident in the processor to the most recent version on the server with the compare tool if they are the same i make my edits(Mostly done online 99% of the time)if it does not match i upload it and save it as the most recent version before making edits.

I am thinking of taking version prior to the year we are currently in and zipping them so no accidental changes are made.

Only a handful of people have access anyway but mistakes and accidents do happen.

Or should i store a open version and a zipped version?

What do you guy's think?