S7 Word compare

Robobob

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having a bit of trouble getting my head around this. I am using Step 7. I want to set a memory bit [Alarm_Active] when a random bit in a word [MW700]goes high. Below I have two rungs. The first is the simple way. The way I want to do this is to do a compare of a word [MW700] and if it is anything other than 0 set a Bit. I have done this in AB ladder with a Bitwise OR. The second network is how I think it will work in Step7. After reading the help files I am a bit uncertain that I am correct. I think I need to use the status bit for the instruction, but I am unsure on the actual construction of the rung. Or is there a better way to do the same thing A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks Bob

Alarm1.jpg

ENO will always be true, so your bit will always be on.

I would just simply compare to zero (not equal).

plc.GIF

Last edited:
Also, remember that with Siemens you have to know how the bytes are arranged to address the individual bits. For example MW700 is made up of MB700 and MB701, with bit zero of MW700 actually being M701.0.

Thanks guys. I knew there was an easy way. I worked with Siemens 13 years ago and have not touched it again until now. The bit arrangement tripped me up already. I set up a bit shift and I had to figure the arrangement out. It took a few minutes but I got it.