Various Vision Cameras and Price

Rob S.

We have a few Cognex Insight 5100 cameras. We have some areas where we can use more cameras to measure and pass/fail
our products , but we are on a limited budget. Is there any
cameras that perform the same funtion that are cheaper but
also as durable as the Cognex Insight 5100. Could you give
me some price examples.

Thanks in advance

The rent is too damn high? :)

I am not sure that even if you find another brand cameras for lower cost it would be comparable in capabilities to what you use now. Not to mention it would be a different way to configure and program, so there will be learning curve, time and so forth.

If all the costs involved in switching to a different brand are considered, this may not be a cheaper option after all. Did you try to talk to Cognex guys to see if your applications require 5100s or you may use some other, possibly cheaper Cognex model?

Concur.
I had experience with Cognex. Happened to have an old Banner laying about from an obsolete machine. When I had another vision application come up, I was told to use the Banner. Long story short......painful learning curve. What was really a pita was that the banner application could not be developed offline from the camera, I had to connect in order to create and test the program. It did work well for what we wanted, checking for the presence and location of an o-ring on a rotating aluminum housing. Just took longer than I had anticipated.
My advice is to pick a brand, and stick with it.

$.02

I have used DVT, Cognex, and Keyence. Hate the multiple screens with Keyence. Love DVT, but now that Cognex has gone Gui I am there. Guess Cognex buying DVT had an effect on them.

I am a Banner guy so far. Dec 1 I will am doing a Cognex training class.
This months Control Engineering has a lot of vision systems in it. Might be worth a read?

Banner does things a little different but if cost is a big factor they are hard to beat. They have a lot of different hardware options but once you understand what each does and if you have enough experience to select the correct vision sensor and lighting up front they are simple to set up and very reliable once installed. Even if you do not use their vision sensors, take a look at their lighting, very nice, works with any camera system and competitive.