PLC or Controller MDB.

birdirt

Hello all,

If any one can help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I am in the process of making a vending machine, credit card only, but I need to outsource the technical aspects, I just don’t know who to call?

I have the following questions:

Vending machines usually have a dedicated controller that uses use MDB (Multi drop Bus) protocol. Will a PLC work in place of a dedicated controller, what is the advantage of MDB, and do I have to use this protocol?

Can I connect a PLC to a mobile (GPRS) payment terminal such as the following: http://www.verifone.com/PDF/op3100_acquirer.pdf or http://www.ingenico.com/en?t=/documentManager/sfdoc.file.supply&fileID=1244540115106. IF so how do I have the PLC integrate with the Payment terminal, do I need dedicated software for this so I can use the terminal keypad to enter a selection?

Who should I be getting in contact with? ...a software programmer or ?

Thanks very much,
Grant.

Last edited:
You don't have to use MDB, you could use a coin drop or bill acceptor with discrete outputs.

MDB is a RS-232 current loop interface, which doesn't interface very well with PLC's. MDB can give you a lot of information about coin drop mechanisms, bill acceptors, and cashless payment devices as well as a few other specialty devices that hook up to vending machines.

There are a few gateway devices out there for MDB to normal serial devices. I have not tried any of them so I don't have much to say on using them.

As far as the payment terminal, I don't know of anyone who has integrated one of these. Maybe someone else can speak up on that aspect. There are MDB payment terminals available, but I don't know if the ones you listed do MDB of not.

Thanks for your assistance, I am out of my depth with this stuff but I am slowly piecing bits together.

Thanks again.
G.

Grant,

The MDBPro by Datawrx.com is a great plug and play solution for this application. It is designed specifically to interface MDB Devices with a PLC or pulse based controller. You can check it out at: http://home.datawrx.com/products/mdbpro.html

When you want all that MDB offers, such as device feedback, and need the adaptability of interfacing with any type controller, there are not many options out there. That's exactly why we made the MDBPro.

If there are any questions please feel free to PM me.

-Andrew