trick or tip

twbrock

I need to add a flash routine to an indicator lamp. I have one working but their has to be a easer way than 2 timers.
PLC is a SLC 05. I don't do much programing in AB so all help is taken. Thanks
TWBrock

Use two timers (ton) and just use the dn bits from each on open and one closed. they will reset each other and turn the lamp on with one while timing (TT)

One other method that I have seen is to use a single timer that resets itself. Then do a Less than comparison with the .ACC value to drive the flashed.

For instance, .01 time base, preset of 200 (2 sec) and timer resets itself. Then drive the flasher with LES T4:x.ACC 100. Then the flasher is on for the first second and off for the next second.

This method has the advantage of non symmetrical on/off times or even synchronized flashing by using multiple limit instructions to look for certain parts of the same timer cycle.

Not sure if it will help but see this.... may give you some ideas on what not to do ;)

First rung is just a timer that resets itself
Second rung takes the time and counts up
Third moves the counter to a output word
Forth resets the counter

This is just making the lights flash in sequence as the counter counts up.... a little better then just turning them on :) and I am sure that there are 100 ways of doing this better....

Hope it give you ideas

flasher.jpg

All of the suggestions are great, but really most of them are overkill. If you just need to make an output flash, use Mickey's suggestion. The free running clock S:4 bits are the easiest way. Why write a bunch of logic with timers and counters when you can add 1 instruction to your rung (unless you want some sort of a fancy flashing sequence)?

Thanks all

:pMickey:
Thanks that is what I was looking for. I will go back a fix my mess. I used 2 timers and 4 extra lines of code to do what can be done with 1 line. Thanks again
TWBrock