Unable to Get PowerFlex 70 connected between Devicenet and RSLogix5000

g.herrell

Hello,

I have been pulling my hair out for 3 days now. PLEASE HELP

I had a PowerFlex 70 VFD go down and had it repaired. I installed the VFD back into the Mcc and I powered it up. I was able to program the Node Address back in as #3 and get it back online with Devicenet. I then loaded the parameters via DeviceNet. After dowloading the EDS File. Everything is going well so far. I then pulled up RSVIEW32 to see if everything looked good on the screen. I have a HOA on the screen. So I went out and double checked my switch on the MCC it was in auto. I then pulled out my meter to verify that I had a closed circuit on my thermal leads, I did. I then proceeded to check my switch to verify that it is making proper contacts (open and closed circuits) for the drive to see, It was. I jumpered 7 and 8 to rule out the thermal protection of the motor. So I am stuck trying to figure out why the VFD works fine in Manual mode at the MCC and I can see the Feedback Hertz on RSView32 even though its not the right amount of Hertz.

I think something was changed and I am unable to find it in RSLogix5000. If you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

A person that is no longer with us at the plant had pulled the drive and put another in place to get the plant up and going. The problem was this drive was only temporary because it was used in another part of the plant which was down at the time. I have since pulled that. VFD and put it back in its original place and it is up and running just fine.

Thank you for your time

Since you can read the Feedback on RSView I would suggest that the DeviceNet connection is OK. The fact that the frequency is not scaled correctly makes me think that the maximum frequency parameter in the Torque Attributes group is not set correctly since this is what determines the scaling. You do not really explain what the problem is but I am assuming that the drive is not responding to commands from the PLC. If this is the case I suspect that you have not set the "Masks and Owners" parameters to give DPI port 5 (which the DeviceNet card use) control of the drive.

I am sorry, I did forget to say that I am unable to control the drive because of the HOA status on RSVIEW32.

How do I go about making the changes for Masks and Owners to DPI port 5?

The Powerflex 70 has a parameter group called Masks_Owners. You can access this using Networx for DeviceNet or via a HIM keypad if you have one fitted to the drive. Within this group there are several "Masks" which allow you to stipulate where the control commands for various functions come from. Each mask will have a tick box in Networx for DPI port 5. All you need to do is tick this for each type of command you want to carry out over DeviceNet. You might also want to untick some of the other choices such as DPI port 1 (the keypad) or the digital inputs to prevent people from overriding the PLC control.

I would double check every parameter by using one of the Drive interface software that Rockwells puts out. I know one of those is free but can't remember the name of it.

One time, I was unable to start one of the 10 Powerflex drives on Devicenet no matter what I did, turns out the mask for starting was on, somehow it was set at the factory?!

I would double check every parameter by using one of the Drive interface software that Rockwells puts out. I know one of those is free but can't remember the name of it.

One time, I was unable to start one of the 10 Powerflex drives on Devicenet no matter what I did, turns out the mask for starting was on, somehow it was set at the factory?!

I think you probably mean Drive Explorer.

Stu.....

Ok, I double checked the masks and owners group for Port 5 selection. Everything was fine. I changed my torq attributes. I then started the motor via the HIM. All data is now corrrect from drive to Devicenet to PLC's.

The only issue that is left is the HOA status on the PLC's that is blocking me from using the PLC's to control the drive.

I fear that the other guy has changed something in the PLC's that I was not aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for yor continued support on this matter.

I shut the entire plant down this morning and pulled out a backup from April to download into the controller. The problem is definately not in RSLogix5000. We can rule that out. The problem lies within the parameters.

Any help would be great

I re-read your initial post and am having problem understanding the situation:
So I went out and double checked my switch on the MCC it was in auto. I then pulled out my meter to verify that I had a closed circuit on my thermal leads, I did. I then proceeded to check my switch to verify that it is making proper contacts (open and closed circuits) for the drive to see, It was. I jumpered 7 and 8 to rule out the thermal protection of the motor. So I am stuck trying to figure out why the VFD works fine in Manual mode at the MCC and I can see the Feedback Hertz on RSView32 even though its not the right amount of Hertz.
What exactly is not working. I was saying checking every parameter but are you having issue with the VFD or the HOA switch which I assume is a hard wired switch (?) to regular discrete card (?) or devicenet (?). When you say manual mode, manual HMI or manual hard wire switch? In any case, we need a better description of the problem.