Control and compactlogix REVISION???

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi can someone please explain to me how the Revisions and firmware works in control and compact logix world. I have always been confused about the conceptions of this. For example I have a Compact logix processor Rev. 1.6 that burned out on us today, it has a compact flash card, I’m not sure if it has a program that is store on it or not but, if we purchase a processor of a higher revision, and assuming that the CF card has code on it will the code written on the CF card work, with the newer revision of the compactlogix processor?
Thank You

Actually, all Logix family CPUs come with only "boot firmware" on them, which is why the sticker on your damaged controller shows version 1.6.

You always have to load firmware into a Logix controller. Whenever I can I use Ethernet to do so; it's possible via RS-232 but it takes so long that if anything's going to go wrong with power-saving or USB/RS232 conversion it will.

If you're lucky and the CF card contains a backup image, that image can be loaded into a new controller and will contain the firmware and the user program.

Otherwise you either use the ControlFlash utility that came with your revisions of RSLogix 5000, or download a new ControlFlash kit from the Support website.

v19 RSLogix 5000 = v19.x firmware in the controller
v18 RSLogix 5000 = v18.x firmware in the controller
v17 RSLogix 5000 = v17.x firmware in the controller
... and so on.

I believe the 1769-L35E was released at v13, so you can load v13, v15, v16, v17, v18, or v19 firmware into it.

Thaks Ken
Just to make sure I have a good understanding of what you have just explained to me.
The firmware version of the controller has to match the Version of RSLogix that the code was created in ?

Also can I upload the code from the CF card without going online to the processor? Assuming that the CF card contains the backup image?
How do I determine what Version a Cpu was released in?

Adam303 said:
Hi can someone please explain to me how the Revisions and firmware works in control and compact logix world. I have always been confused about the conceptions of this. For example I have a Compact logix processor Rev. 1.6 that burned out on us today, it has a compact flash card, I’m not sure if it has a program that is store on it or not

Put it in a laptop and look, but don't let Windozer "Scan and Fist It for You?".

Adam303 said:
but, if we purchase a processor of a higher revision, and assuming that the CF card has code on it will the code written on the CF card work, with the newer revision of the compactlogix processor?
Adam303 said:
Thank You

Rockwell keeps the major revision number of RSLogix5000 locked with the firmware major revisions, and we're up to what rev 18 now?

There is a good chance you will need to do some research to go from any version prior to about 12.x if I recall there are significant major changes that will likely affect the application.

Also, I am away from resources, but I believe when your compactlogix reports that low a rev level:

a) you have boot firmware, the PLC is just awaiting a controlflash upgrade.
b) you are looking at the firmware revision of the onboard ethernet card, and not the actual CPU (drill down).

I don't know the file format of the CPU image stored on the card, but I do know that it's possible to store the firmware on the card as a means of performing a flash of the firmware, followed by a reboot, then an automatic transfer of the compiled (?) RSLogix5000 code.

In other words, it is supposed to be possible to clone a Compactlogix, matching firmware and all, simply by inserting the card in the new one, following a power up/down sequence according to the LED states, but Idon't know the details, and I expect your odds are less than 25% that your card was prepared that way...still a decent chance, but start looking for offline copies, just in case they were using it for firmware only, or logging, and then where do you get the latest source code?

All right I finally got to see whats type of files are on the CF card
In other words, it is supposed to be possible to clone a Compactlogix, matching firmware and all, simply by inserting the card in the new one, following a power up/down sequence according to the LED states, but Idon't know the details, and I expect your odds are less than 25% that your card was prepared that way...still a decent chance, but start looking for offline copies, just in case they were using it for firmware only, or logging, and then where do you get the latest source code?
Can Any one tell me if I do have the right files in order to use the CF card to upload to a new processor???

untitled.jpg

Yes.

The Executive.bin is the firmware for the controller, and the *.P5K file is the CompactLogix user program itself.

Just put that card into a new CompactLogix of the same model and it should load up.

Go ahead and open up the load.xml file and you'll see what the CompactLogix reads first when it boots up and checks the CF card.

Ken This is what show up when I open the file. :confused:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <CurrentApplication>
<ControlFile>\Logix\CurrentApp\BladeHammer.xml</ControlFile>

</CurrentApplication>

Ahh you ment the other file.;)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <Controller>
- <ExecutiveLoadOption>
<ExecFile>\Logix\CurrentApp\Executive.bin</ExecFile>

</ExecutiveLoadOption>

- <ProgramLoadOption>
<ProgramLoadMode>CORRUPT_RAM</ProgramLoadMode>

<LoadFile>\Logix\CurrentApp\BladeHammer.p5k</LoadFile>

</ProgramLoadOption>

- <ControllerModeOption>
<ControllerMode>RUN</ControllerMode>

</ControllerModeOption>

</Controller>

Nifty, isn't it ?

The setting to load the program on "CORRUPT_RAM" means the CF card was used for disaster recovery and you'd have to empty the memory of a new or previously-loaded CompactLogix so that the controller thought the user memory was empty.

The other options for loading from CF included Load Always, and Manual Load Only. I'd have to experiment to see what keyword those options actually use.

Sure is.
Also Ken where how was this written to the CF card? I'm assumig that this was done in the controller properties in 5K, and downloaded to the CF card. Is that right?

Right; go to the Nonvolatile Memory tab in Controller Properties, and there will be labeled buttons for loading controller memory onto the card, and vice versa, with the options for Always, On Corrupt Memory, and User Initiated.

Remember that the controller must be in Program mode to "burn" the program to the CF card.

You always have to load firmware into a Logix controller. Whenever I can I use Ethernet to do so; it's possible via RS-232 but it takes so long that if anything's going to go wrong with power-saving or USB/RS232 conversion it will.

If I was not to use the CF card. And we are loading firmware to a new controller, I have to use a serial connection. If we were updating firmware to a controller that already has firmware, we could use a faster connection, such as Ethernet.
Is that correct Ken?