RedLion G3 Link Type

MATT116

I'm currently using Crimson 3 build 252
G310 HMI
Communicating Ethernet to 3 SLC 5/05 1747-l551 Ser C Rev C

In crimson under network > protocol 1 > device > protocol options > link type "use shared socket" or "use dedicated socket"

My question is when would I use shared socket or dedicated socket and how does this affect communications?

Thanks

The most common use for sharing a port is so that you could pass data from one port into another. This is done when you go thru the G3 via ethernet to connect to a PLC that is connected via a serial port.

You can also use a shared connection if you have more than 4 Ethernet devices connected at once to the redlion. It can only talk to 4 over ethernet at once, (dedicated). In shared mode, it establishes a connection then shuts it down when done, allowing you to program it to more than 4 Ethernet connections.

MATT116,

wutnots is correct with his explanation. Clay B's explanation refers to the port sharing selection.

Thanks
Jeremy

Thanks again for clearing that up. I highly doubt I will ever need to use port sharing in my applications but at least now I know.