RSLogix 5000 Sint,Int,Dint

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone explain to me what Sint,Int,Dint data types represent? or what they mean? I was watching one of the Ab's "How Do I" "Reference a tag in a routine" video and this came up while assigning a bit within a structure?
Thanks

short answer:

a SINT can store up to 8 bits ... (SINT = "Short integer") ...

an INT can store up to 16 bits ... (INT = "Integer") ...

a DINT can store up to 32 bits ... (DINT = Double Integer) ...

and you didn't ask - but

a BOOL can store 1 bit ... (BOOL = named after George Boole 1815-1864) ...

do you need more information than that? ...

Last edited:
Thanks Ron
And yes I do need more information as I'm now confused as to how I would I assign the data type to a Input of per say a 1769-IQ16. Wouldn't that be a single bit? So where do the data types come in play with that?

in most cases (in fact ALL that I've ever seen) when you "configure" a module in RSLogix5000, the software will AUTOMATICALLY assign the proper data type ...

translation: enter the module in the I/O Configuration - and the software will take care of what data type to assign ...

I get in now the perticulal input would be assign in a INT data type

sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by that ...

going one step further ...

in SOME cases, the software will assign a 32-bit DINT type to an I/O module which only has 16-bits ... don't worry about it ... you'll just use the lowest 16-bits and get on with your life ...

You do not manually create your own tags for I/O data.

That is done automatically for you when you put the I/O module into the configuration.

There are 2 tags created for an Input Module. By example, if I assign an Input Module to Slot 2 in the same chassis as the controller, the tags created are:-

Local:2:I - data Input to the controller from the Input module
Local:2:C - configuration data downloaded to the module

Part of (repeat, part of) the Local:2:I tag that is created, is a 32-bit DINT (called .Data) which contains the data from the I/O points on the module. Yes, it is a 32-bit DINT, so that it can handle a 32-point module, but if it is a 16-bit module, only the first 16-bits in .Data are used.

Simple now...
IN-0 on your Input module appears in the controller database as Local:2:I.Data.0
IN-13 on your Input module appears in the controller database as Local:2:I.Data.13