Pump Duty Time Logic

The Plc Kid

I need a little help with some logic for a pumps duty time. We want to know how much a pump is used per hour as it does cycle on and off.

What is the best way to do this and get fresh data every 10 minutes?

This is a contrologix system.

Would i run a hour timer and track the pump on time then subtract it from the hour?

Would i need to start the timer on the hour or is there a better way.

Doing it this way to make sure it is correct if the program is ever redownloaded or something i guess i can look at the system clock and start my timer when the minustes are 00?

Would i run a hour timer and track the pump on time then subtract it from the hour?

That would be the quickest way. Right before you reset the timer, move that data into a holding register to look at it.
You could also set up a fifo for longer term storage.

You could always log to timestamp when the pump started and the timestamp when it stopped and then do the math in whatever reporting software you use.

I need to calculate the percentage of runtime per hour and update this rolling display every 15 minutes.

How can i have a rolling update every 15 minutes that is based on % runtimer per hour. Thats where i am having a problem.

Is this even possible?

Well what you could do is use a FIFO with 60 slots. Once a minute load the FIFO with the pump status (1 = on, 0 = off), then every 15 minutes, SUM the FIFO array, divide by 60, multiply by 100, send to display.

Would be the % uptime for the last 60 minutes.

An alternative apporach:

One hour is 3600s, isn't it?

You make a sample pulse every 36 seconds.

If the motor is running, add 1 to your accu.
If the motor is idle, add -1 to your accu.
Keep accu within limits of 0 and 100.
Voila!

Edit: Forget it, it does not work....

Kalle

Last edited:
I would just use an RTO. Enable the timer when the pump is running. It will store the accumulated seconds. If you want, you can reset it every hour or every fifteen minutes (after you have calculated the duty cycle)