Coin Acceptor/Validator with Fieldbus Interface

Hi Guys,

I have an application which I need to interface many coin acceptors to a PLC. Has anyone seen such an application before?

Would it be possible to obtain such a device?

I don't know of any directly networkable coin validators, as that function is typically handled by the central processing boards in coin-op devices (think laundries, slot machines). Usually, coin accepters are just go/no-go devices, sometimes with fancier features like built-in totalizers.

You can look at some of these chutes, they are fast, programmable, and accurate, but not directly networkable:

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/parts/cash_handling/Electronic_Coin_Validator_7195.html

http://www.happcontrols.com/cc/nri.htm

RDCast....is there nothing you dont know about!!!

Thanks. I'll look into this but what I need is a coin validator to PLC interface solution. Do you think this is possible even if it were hardwired? I could perhaps hardwire to DNET/Profibus couplers.

Actually most modern coin ops are networkable through the MDB bus. The problem is that currently there isn't a PLC that I am aware of that can talk the MDB protocol.

@Morphuis - No, you can't directly network them, but you can probably use either off-the-shelf serial to Ethernet converters, or for a more 'roll your own' solution, look at something like the Parallex Basic Stamp, or even their new Spinneret Web Server .

How elaborate you need to go would depend (of course) on your application.

Be glad the new coin chutes are what they are! Not even that long ago, I'm thinking 20 years or so, all coin chutes were purely mechanical. Yes, they were accurate, and reliable, but fussy to set up just right, and subject to frequent jamming. The new electronic ones are wonderful (except that I'm really not in that business anymore).