Wonderware HMI issue

mapman88

Hi, we have ten controllogix controllers for different equipment on a plant network with Wonderware HMI's. As a self training project, I am upgrading a small plant system to include on our network. I installed a rack, a L61 controller, 1756 ENB,etc., wrote some logic, and have it running on our network. I am able to go online from the engineering work station in the shop to the controller. I installed an HMI and wrote an application for it, but I cannot get the HMI to display the data from the controller tags. I have configured System management Console and have dasabcip server active, and entered the necessary structure there. On an earlier post someone mentioned a MOV for the I/O table in the controller, so the HMI can "read" the tags. Can anyone speak to that, or any other ideas? thanks in advance..

In my plc logic I created a Routine just for the HMI - true logic from my program turns on bits (I created an array, HMI_Bits(0).0 through HMI(9).31). For example, the tag HMI_Bits_0_0 in my tagname dictionary in Wonderware has an Item of PROGRAM:MAINPROGRAM.HMI_Bits(0).0. Should this be enough for the HMI to see the value of this tag in the plc, or do I need logic to write the I/O table to dasabcip? I'm reading about it, can't quite get it through my thick skull.

We use RSLinx to interface the data between InTouch and the Contrologix. However you must have a licensed version of RSLinx (Pro / Gateway) for the DDE and OPC connections to work. If you choose OPC, you will need something like FactorySuite Gateway to convert it back to DDE or Suitelink. If you choose DDE, it is much simpler.

Last edited:
We use RSLinx to interface the data between InTouch and the Contrologix. However you must have a licensed version of RSLinx (Pro / Gateway) for the DDE and OPC connections to work. If you choose OPC, you will need something like FactorySuite Gateway to convert it back to DDE or Suitelink. If you choose DDE, it is much simpler.

RSLinx config:
Menu: DDE/OPC >> Topic Configuration
Click New button, enter a name (TestName)
Select the driver and PLC on the right side, click Apply.
If you need further help setting up RSLinx I will post further later.

InTouch Access Name:
Name: ABTEST
App Name: RSLinx
Topic Name: Name of the topic you used above (TestName)
Protocol: DDE

InTouch Tagname Dictionary:
Access Name: ABTEST
Item: PROGRAM:MAINPROGRAM.HMI_Bits(0).0
(* Note, if it is a system tag instead of a program tag, it would just be HMI_Bits(0).0)

RSLinx will optimize the packets being polled, I think it uploads the tags on the first connection to figure out the best way to transmit the requested data. With any other software, you risk losing this optimization. This is similar to polling 48 registers with 1 query, rather then polling 1 register at a time with 48 queries. Saves bandwith.

Sorry, I have no experience with dasabcip.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

Wwe use dasabcip on the rest of our HMI's so I want to stick with that. In the plc, my tags are all Controller tags, not Program tags. I am going to get rid of PROGRAM:MAINPROGRAM on a few analog tags and see if that makes any difference.

Dave, I noticed the () - [] before, but I went back and changed them all to make sure, the font WW uses makes it hard to tell the difference in them. I am done for the day so will see tomorrow if the PROGRAM:MAINPROGRAM makes my day,

thanks again

Wonderware has an executable program called wwclient that is very useful for troubleshooting when dealing with establishing communications for future reference. It is available on the wonderware website via a tech note