Be careful what you call it

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Something that happened to me yesterday. It had me scratching my head for awhile but once I figured it out it was quite humorous.

I was at a customer site working on a system we had sold them last year. This customer is in the fertilizer business. Because of this they like to power down the system for extended periods of time. This was not something we were made aware of when we built the system.

So while I was there yesterday I figured I would create them a default screen on the G3 HMI so that whenever they powered up they would have a set of data points to start with instead of everything being zero.

To create this I added some screens with the default values and a button to load those values whenever they wanted. This button was to run a program where I would move the default values into the data points used by the system.

Seems simple enough and it was...up to a Point... I decided to call my program "default" since the data I was transfering was the default data... Seemed like a good idea at the time... Well the touch screen did not like this...Everytime I would type defualt() in the action section of the button it would go back to none when I closed the edit screen for the button... So I hit enter after typing default() and then I got the error "unexpected keyword"... It took me a minute to realize that default is a keyowrd and can not be used as a file name... So I changed the name of the file and everything worked.

I thought it humorous that I could manipulate several hundered data points but could not come up with a file name that wouldn't give me grief... I was really impressed that Red Lion figured out someone would pull this "bonehead" move and set a fault for it.

Anyway, it was good for a chuckle and I thought maybe you guys would find it funny also.

You may just have written one of the letters Red Lion employees have been waiting for....

I did that in a Microsoft Access database last month--got to speeding thru my work and called a text box "End", not even close to remembering that End means something to me and something different to Access. After a few tries with nothing working right, it hit me that I should change "End" to "Ending".

I once called a girl Love,you wouldn't believe the mess I'm in now. It's been 22 years and I still cant figure out what has happened since. 2 rugrats and a furry black and white canine have appeared out of nowhere jeez I wish there was a website that could help me. Help needed.

I once called a girl Love,you wouldn't believe the mess I'm in now. It's been 22 years and I still cant figure out what has happened since. 2 rugrats and a furry black and white canine have appeared out of nowhere jeez I wish there was a website that could help me. Help needed.

You didn't RTFM. 1st page has a warning that says never feed her wedding cake. Ever seen the movie "Gremlins"?