Need advice on setup of PanelView+ to CLX via CNet

wildswing

Hey fellas,

I've started work on an in-house project that includes setting up a PV+ 1000 as a node on a Cnet network to talk to a CLX (L62) processor and need some advice on the proper or preferred way to set up tags in both.

Sorry for the length of this post. I'm a newbie at this, so please bear with me. Sorry if some questions are way off base. This is my first ever PV+ to CLX via ControlNet. My only other experience is PV to PLC5 via DH+ or RIO. Example: I just found out I need RSView ME, so I'm waiting for that PO to go through.

First, some background. My company bought a used strapping machine from a defunct facility [it's almost identical to an existing strapper we have that's being run by a SLC 5/04]. The PV+ was purchased separately by someone else from another source. They chose it because it had Cnet capability. It's after this that I enter the picture, "Hey, look what we bought. Can you make this work?"

The PV+ will be used for simple auto/manual, cycle start, other operator input selections, feedback of machine cycle status and alarm annunciation. Almost all will be discrete with maybe a few analog values. Nothing super time critical.

The strapper came with a Siemens PLC. I found that out after it arrived. We're all AB here. The higher ups recommended that we should send the PLC program conversion work to a local community college [electrical technology class] that had been bugging us for a real world project (via a government program). The electrical lead for the installation (has CLX programming experience) set them up with CLX files and tag arrays to use. Now we have an updated CLX program that contains boolean, integer, timer and counter arrays assigned to that machine center (all controller tags). The ladder logic uses those array tags.

1 - Maybe I'm being nit picky here but the issue I see is that there's no specific arrays for HMI interface. For example, the boolean array (256 elements) contains a mix of bits for the HMI and internal plc use. As is, with my understanding, I'm going to have to set up individual tags in the PV and pick and choose from within the CLX array.

Can I set up an array in the PV? If yes, and I set the target as the existing CLX boolean array, I'll be overwriting those bits that are being used internally in the CLX. Does that make sense?

What's the preferred or correct way to set up tags in both the CLX and PV? Should I be setting up new CLX tag arrays just for I/O to/from the PanelView?

2 - I've been reading the PV+ and Cnet manuals trying to teach myself this stuff. I'm wondering about the Cnet setup at either end. There's a choice between scheduled and unscheduled setup. I understand the technical difference. Scheduled is a lot more involved. AB tech support says 99.9% of PV users use unscheduled. What are your thoughts?

3 - In RSL5000 I see that I have 2 selections for a PV if I create a new module in the Cnet IO config. One is 2711P-RN15S/A and the other PanelView. My PV+ 1000 has a 2711P-RN15S module on the back. I've played with the selections using an offline copy of the program. The first is what's mentioned in the PV ControlNet module manual for scheduled comms. It requires manual creation of consumed and produced tags. The latter sets up IO tags which include 32 element single integer arrays in and out. Other than that, what's the difference between the two selections?

Once again, I apologize for the length of the post. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Someone more qualified may answer. I have not used a CNET panelview plus, but from what I understand, as long as it's unscheduled it's basically the same as a Ethernet panel view. I could be wrong here though. We usually just use CNET for IO (flex IO), and keep the panelviews/PCs with HMI software on Ethernet.

1. If your unscheduled it doesn't matter how the tags are arranged. You can use the offline logic to access all the tags during development. Although it's unfortunate the logic you got is entirely in arrays and doesn't take advantage of the CLX tag naming system (in my opinion).

2. Unless your network has a lot of traffic I would stick with unscheduled. I don't have a lot of experience here either though.

3. You don't need to add the HMI to the IO config. At least I never have. (for unscheduled)

Last edited:
...We usually just use CNET for IO (flex IO), and keep the panelviews/PCs with HMI software on Ethernet.

1. If your unscheduled it doesn't matter how the tags are arranged.
2. Unless your network has a lot of traffic I would stick with unscheduled. I don't have a lot of experience here either though.
3. You don't need to add the HMI to the IO config. At least I never have. (for unscheduled)

Thanks for the quick reply.

My vender tech guy says he seen some connectivity issues with panelview ethernet. Besides, we don't have easy access to the ethernet network in this location so it's not an option.

1 - so you don't think there's an efficiency advantage to grouping your IO tags for the panelview in one or two arrays in the CLX as opposed to picking from a few here and a few there?

2 - Network traffic's pretty light