Refurbished Swichgear Good Deal or Bad Deal

Rob S.

Hi Folks ,

I am looking at replacing some 1600 amp switchgear. I found a place in Texas called Quality Switchgear. I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished Square D BLO34160. Have any of you dealt with Quality Switchgear ? Would you have any concerns going with refurbished gear.

Thanks again, have a great day.

Depends what you want to use it for and how old it is. Also, what did they do to refurbish the Bolt Loc? If you have Ground Fault Protection and need to trip that device, I suggest you get evidence that it will open before buying it.

Perhaps you should post this question on
www.mikeholt.com. its an electrical website & i'm
sure there are a lot of contractors who can answer.

My question is this,
is it for your plant or are you doing this for another company?

If it were my company and you sold me used switchgear as new,
i wouldn't be a happy camper.
But if you told me it was refurbished, and you still gave it a 1 year warranty, thats another story.

you must ask those kinds of questions.

regards,
james

I am looking at replacing some 1600 amp switchgear.

I assume the replacement stuff you are considering is exactly the same.

I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished Square D BLO34160.

Have any of you dealt with Quality Switchgear?
Never dealt with them

Would you have any concerns going with refurbished gear.
You bet I would.

I am of two minds on this
1. If buying for spare parts ie cannibalize and or overhaul for spares that is one thing
2. If buying to replace or upsize installed gear and you want identical stuff then I would be pretty picky.

The first is "am I buying someone elses problems ie why did they get rid of it"
It may save a lot of time and aggravation to spend the money and go there for a hands on look see to know what you are buying before you write the check. I would also take some test gear megger and check stuff out myself.

Do you have equipment for testing breakers ie Multi Amp or local outside vendor for this support?

Can you get replacement parts from factory?

Dan Bentler

Keep in mind there have been some improvements to switchgear products over the last few years, especially in regards to Arc Flash and to control and communication. Point may be moot if new breakers will be used or controls updated as part of the purchase agreement.