Grounding question with plastic enclosure

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Here's the setup: I have a small piece of equipment that runs on 120vac. The main panel has a grounded steel backplane in a plastic (FRP) enclosure. An additional small steel enclosure houses an HMI, which is powered by 24vdc through a cable that runs back to the main (plastic) box. Both boxes are bolted to the steel machine frame. The only high voltage external to the main box is the power cord and a cable running to a motor.

My question is this: What extra steps do I need to take for proper grounding? If I had used a metal box, the frame and second enclosure would already be grounded. But in this case the plastic box was not my choice. Should the HMI box be separately grounded even though it only contains 24v? Should I bond the machine frame to the backplane with a separate wire, which would also ground the second box? None of the above?

Per NFPA 79 2007 Editon:
8.2.1.2 Equipment Grounding.
The machine and all exposed, noncurrent-carrying conductive parts, material, and equipment likely to be energized shall be effectively grounded. Where electrical devices are mounted on metal mounting panels that are located within nonmetallic enclosures, the metal mounting panels shall be effectively grounded. Where specified by the manufacturer, components and subassemblies shall be bonded to the equipment grounding (protective bonding) circuit in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Hopefully this will help somewhat.

A bond must be maintained through to the last box.
If you use a metal conduit or fitting into the nonmetallic enclosure you need a grounding (bonding) bushing to connect it to the chassis ground. If you use cable without a bonded armor like NMD just carry the bond along on the bare ground.

Brian