SLC DiagnosticStatus Failed 0x4

Winklehoffen

I've got a SLC 5/03 that is communicating via a KE card and through a NET-ENI to a PC (long story). The PC is running Intouch and happily talking to the PLC using their CIP server.

The problem is when I run RSLinx I can see the PLC using the ethernet driver but when I try to download, upload or go online I get a DiagnosticStatus Failed 0x4 error message so I can't do anything. I've tried shutting down the intouch service and restarting RSlinx and the computer, all to no avail. I can still get online through the KE card using my laptop but I would like to get this working on the PC so I can access the PLC from the comfort of my armchair at home.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've got a SLC 5/03 that is communicating via a KE card and through a NET-ENI to a PC (long story). The PC is running Intouch and happily talking to the PLC using their CIP server.

The problem is when I run RSLinx I can see the PLC using the ethernet driver but when I try to download, upload or go online I get a DiagnosticStatus Failed 0x4 error message so I can't do anything. I've tried shutting down the intouch service and restarting RSlinx and the computer, all to no avail. I can still get online through the KE card using my laptop but I would like to get this working on the PC so I can access the PLC from the comfort of my armchair at home.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

This error means that the connection to the PLC Failed. It is probably just a path problem. Close your PLC Program File, and RSLogix500. Re-open RSLogix 500, then open your PLC Program File. Next click on the Comms Menu item, then Who Active Go Online. This will open an RSLinx style Dialog Box. Navigate to your PLC, then Click Ok. Hopefully, it should go Online. If you want to make this permanent, you have to make sure that the Path in the Project matches the Path you discovered by this method.

Stu....

The Net-ENI is designed to be connected to a single full-duplex DF1 device on the serial side, not a network gateway like a 1747-KE or 1770-KF2.

I've tried this before with a 1747-KE and 1761-NET-ENI Series B and encountered similar errors when trying to use RSLinx to go online instead of using simple MSG commands. Because it's not a supported architecture and because I didn't have the right diagnostic tools then, I didn't pursue it further.

If your 1761-NET-ENI is a newer Series D or Series E unit, you might consider trying the COM Port Redirector software utility to make the Net-ENI behave like a virtual serial port over TCP/IP. You'll run the DF1 driver, just like you say does work directly connected to the 1747-KE, and the COM Port Redirector does the rest.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Stu, that is what I was doing, but it didn't want to behave. It just seems a bit funny to me that I can see the PLC (i.e. it doesn't have a big red cross throught it) but I can't get online.

Ken, the ENI is new so I'll give the com port redirector a go next time I'm on site. The SCADA is communicating just fine through the ENI and KE card but I assume that's a different kettle of herring.

Open a web browser and type in the address of the Net-ENI, then go to one of the diagnostic screens and see how many connections are in use, a Net-ENIs only allows 3.
I have seen duplicates, that had 1 address using 2 connections.