replace ti405 plc with siemens brand

vinuvinod

hi friends,we are asked to replace an existing ti405 series plc with any siemens brand without changing sequence of operation and input/outputs.Can the existing program be uploaded and translated suitable for siemens product?How much will be the work involved?No.of inputs=30,outputs=40,AI=10 and AO=4.Can this be done by a good programmer?reply awaited

The TI405 begat the Siemens 405 which begat the AutomationDirect.com 405. Actually, Koyo made all of them with various brand labels. Get teh exact 405 model number and contact AutomationDirect.com tech support. I suspect for a few hundred dollars you can just buy the Directsoft programming package and a cable. Worst case is you need anew CPU.

Now, if they won't take the Siemens/TI/Koyo 405 you have a problem. Yes, a "good" programmer can do the translation, but the Siemens Step 7 stuff is totally different in programming, and requires a lot of conversion. You would need to get a hold of a programmer experienced in the Step 7 or else go through a steep learning curve.

You could always take a look at the Siemens S7-200. I've been told this is the direct successor to the TI models. I can't say for sure, because I don't know the TI 405.

If you're planning on entering the S7-300/400 families, then I think the possiblity exists to translate automaticaly from TI405/505 to S7-300/400. STEP 7 also has the possibility of translation from S5. The latter I've tested out and it translated about 80% to 90% of my programs without having to change anything maually. The last 10% to 20% was relatively good documented about why it wasn't translated and how to do it manually. Of course it takes some learning, but it definitely was nothing compared to rewriting those programs.

Good luck,

The "Got ya" with the S7-200 line would be the MAXIMUM limit of Analog modules. There is a conversion utility in the Simatic Manager to convert the TI405 to an S7-300. The 300 is much faster and more expandable than the TI405 was.

Yeah but

The TI to S7 converter bites. In my experience you are better off rewriting the code based on what you want it to do in lieu of "converting" existing code and hoping that it will work. Like someone else mentioned, the S7-300 has a learning curve. Personally I like being able to mix ladder, STL, and SCL in one program so I am a huge fan of the S7-300/400 line. I also think very highly of the S7-200.

The Automation Direct boxes are pretty nice and unlike most of the big PLC mfg's their software wasn't written with a gold keyboard and priced into oblivion. Speaking of that.. what is it with AB, Siemens, et al anyway. They charge an arm and a leg for software that only works on their box yet they expect you to expend 1/2 of your project budget to "try them out". Pfft.. If the Koyo's PLC's weren't so small I would use nothing but them just because they recognize that they are selling PLC's not software. Unfortunately most of my projects have 100 - 500 I/O on average and their boxes are too small. Frankly my preferred box is the Siemens TI555 on an Ethernet backbone, using Fast-trak Softworks programming software but it's getting more and more expensive to implement on a large scale. Not to mention Siemens will declare it mature sometime in the near future. Hopefully CTI will pick it up.