RSLogix 5000 Optimize?

I believe something does exist. But it isn't a complete kit. Remember reading it here somewhere.

Use the unused tags filter in the RSLogix 5000 tag viewer. Choose the tag scope you want(controller/program). Select the edit tags tab at the bottom of the tag viewer. Click the Show button and select "Unused". Click OK. Then shift-click or control-click the tags you want to delete and press the delete key on your keyboard. After you are done, its a good idea to click the Show button again and set the filter back to ALL to prevent confusion down the road, DAMHIKT.

A11182010-1.jpg

Last edited:
I know it is unusual, but sometimes there are tags in the processor that are not used in logic, but are used by an HMI or some other PC based system that will not show up as unused. After deleting you will then have some issues with the other systems involved. Like I said this is unusual and most often happens on old systems that multiple people have been involved in.

Anyway, if you do this online it will not let you delete any tags that are being communicated with and if I remember right it will give you a message telling you it could not delete a particular tag. This can be helpful in figuring out what un-necessary communication that may be going on that can also be removed from the HMIs or other software.

Darren