Cannot find SLC5/04 in RSLinx Enterprise

louielew

A little background:

I have a 1756-ENBT/A and 1756-DHRIO/D bridge to access the SLC5/04 from Ethernet. HMI is a PV1400e on DH+. I am upgrading the PV1400e to a PV+1250. Added the 2711P-RN6 to the PV+. Programming the PV+ here at my desk via Ethernet.

The problem I have is in the communication setup, I cannot look through the 1756-DHRIO to find the SLC5/04.

FactoryTalk View Studio ME - Communication Setup - Design (Local) tab.

When I 'drill down' to the 1756-DHRIO it is showing up as a 1756-DHRIO/A instead of a series D. When I select it I get the 'Select a different path - 1756-DHRIO/A cannot be used.' error, and nothing under it.

RSLinx Classic shows it correctly as a series D, and I communicate with the SLC5/04 through the bridge with RSLogix500 all the time.

Just downloaded and installed the .eds files again. No change.

I added the DH+ driver and the SLC5/04 device with the correct node #'s in the Runtime (Target) tab, so I feel comfortable that when it gets installed that it will work correctly, but would definitely like to test it before I put it out in production.

So I guess my ? is why can I not see my SLC5/04 through RSLinx Enterprise??
Am I going about it wrong, or is this another limitation (or irritation) of Enterprise??

Thanks in advance for the help!
Louie

That's a limitation I was surprised to find, as well, but it's been that way since the beginning. The only DH+ support in RSLinx Enterprise is local DH+ over 2711P-RN6 or 1784-PKTX cards.

Bridging through 1756-DHRIO, and connection via the 1784-PCMK are not supported.

The way I handle it is that I do all my configuration and testing using RSLinx Classic, which can do both DHRIO bridging and run the PCMK driver. I just create the OPC Topic name to be the same as the target FactoryTalk Shortcut name, then delete the OPC Topic before I create the *.MER. It's not perfect, but it works.

I know this topic is a little old, but how do you use the RSlinx Classic instead of the Enterprise for this?
Do I have to create the connection for the OPC in Classic export it and use that in the FactoryTalk program??
I'm a little lost I will try and read up on OPC beginning of next week, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am almost doing the exact same thing.
I have a 1756-ENBT/A to a 1756-DHRIO/B and i see nothing else when I "drill down" in Enterprise but it is there in Classic.

I'd be interrested in this answer as well, I am having the exact same problem, and while I can add a OPC server, I do not understand how am I supposed to browsed from it to my PLC.

Will post back if i am able to do it

Welcome to the Forum !

The workaround I mentioned only allows you to test a FactoryTalk View ME application that uses DH+, using RSLinx Classic as the data server.

You still need to have a PanelView Plus terminal equipped with a 2711P-RN6 DH+ card to actually run the application in the PV+ terminal connected to DH+.

The reason the workaround works is that FactoryTalk View ME looks at the Shortcut name in each Tag reference and then checks its data servers for either a Shortcut or an OPC Topic with that name.

If the FactoryTalk View project contains a RSLinx Enterprise data server has a Shortcut with the correct name, FactoryTalk View uses that.

If the FactoryTalk View project has an RSLinx Classic data server created and configured, and that data server has an OPC Topic with the correct name, FactoryTalk View uses that instead.

You need to have a licensed version of RSLinx Classic (like Professional or Gateway) and you need to create an OPC Topic pointed to the controller on DH+ via your 1784-PCMK, or 1756-DHRIO, or 1784-U2DHP interface to the DH+ network.

I last used this workaround six or seven years ago so I can't guarantee it works with modern editions of the software, or predict what sorts of obstacles you might encounter using it. It's not a designed or supported feature of the software; it just works by coincidence because of the very similar way in which FactoryTalk View uses RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic.

Welcome to the Forum !

The workaround I mentioned only allows you to test a FactoryTalk View ME application that uses DH+, using RSLinx Classic as the data server.

You still need to have a PanelView Plus terminal equipped with a 2711P-RN6 DH+ card to actually run the application in the PV+ terminal connected to DH+.

The reason the workaround works is that FactoryTalk View ME looks at the Shortcut name in each Tag reference and then checks its data servers for either a Shortcut or an OPC Topic with that name.

If the FactoryTalk View project contains a RSLinx Enterprise data server has a Shortcut with the correct name, FactoryTalk View uses that.

If the FactoryTalk View project has an RSLinx Classic data server created and configured, and that data server has an OPC Topic with the correct name, FactoryTalk View uses that instead.

You need to have a licensed version of RSLinx Classic (like Professional or Gateway) and you need to create an OPC Topic pointed to the controller on DH+ via your 1784-PCMK, or 1756-DHRIO, or 1784-U2DHP interface to the DH+ network.

I last used this workaround six or seven years ago so I can't guarantee it works with modern editions of the software, or predict what sorts of obstacles you might encounter using it. It's not a designed or supported feature of the software; it just works by coincidence because of the very similar way in which FactoryTalk View uses RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic.

Just an update I am not familiar with the OPC, but after fumbling around for a bit we were able to make this work today.
Thanks,
John