Omron Zen Output Timed On/Off and Count

plewis

I am trying to setup my Omron Zen 10C3AR-A-V2 using the ZEN logic setup tool for turning on/off an output and counting it to a determined number.

I have the program setup to turn the output on/off at delayed 5 seconds off and 5 seconds on intervals. However, how do I setup a counter? I would like to see the program run for 100 intervals and then stop.

As a newbie to the PLC programming world I appreciate any help and assistance. Please see the attached image to view the ladder logic I have already setup.

Thanks!

zentimercount.jpg

Try using a timer contact energize the counter coil.
Add a normally closed counter contact in the timer rung.
Set the parameters for the contact for 100 counts.

You may want to review the programming manual for the ZEN.
Omron Manual Number Z211.

Hope this will help.

Yes that did work well! Thanks for the quick response. My next question is regarding the count. It counts up to 100 and stops but it stores the 100 value. The next time I go to run the program it doesn't due to the fact that the count is still 100. I've ran a reset to the counter after reaching 100 but then the program is stuck in a loop (reaches 100 resets, checks the counter which is now 0 after the reset, runs the program to 100 again, repeat). I believe an easy solution would be to count down from 100 to 0, ending the program once it exhausts the count.

How do I get a count to count down? I've attached another picture of my ladder logic. Thanks for any help!! :)

plewisprogram.jpg

Yes that did work well! Thanks for the quick response. My next question is regarding the count. It counts up to 100 and stops but it stores the 100 value. The next time I go to run the program it doesn't due to the fact that the count is still 100. I've ran a reset to the counter after reaching 100 but then the program is stuck in a loop (reaches 100 resets, checks the counter which is now 0 after the reset, runs the program to 100 again, repeat). I believe an easy solution would be to count down from 100 to 0, ending the program once it exhausts the count.

How do I get a count to count down? I've attached another picture of my ladder logic. Thanks for any help!! :)

plewisprogram.jpg
An even easier solution will be "reset your counter when it reaches the preset count (100 in your case)". Then start counting again up to 100 and repeat.
You only use an "Up" counter using the method above instead of an "Up/Down" counter that will do what you described.
Just use a "One Shot" to start your counter.
Upon reset, it will not start counting again (loop) until it sees another "One shot" to initiate another count batch.
I believe your program calls it "Positive Transition" bit or something similar to it.
Look for something that looks like -(P)- that is when the bit goes TRUE for one scan.
-(N)- will be a Negative Transition" when a bit goes false for one scan

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help! I included the counter reset with the additional "start" bit to keep from looping. Everything works out!!

Thanks again!!