Rockwell FactoryTalk Historian SE and Windows Server 2003

rstech

I'm trying to quote a job for a customer to provide Historian SE and Vantage Point but I'm having trouble with the operating system requirements. Apparently Historian requires Windows Server 2003. I just spent 20 minutes in chat with Dell and they tell me they can no longer offer down grade rights to Server 2003. So what am I to do? I would like to use Historian SE but if I can't get a computer with Server 2003 then I can't go that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried running Historian SE on Server 2008; does it work but just isn't supported? Any other Historian software packages I should be looking at that do support available operating systems?

Thanks.

Yeah, it says Hitorian SE isn't supported on Win 2K8. I know it won't work with R2 with is 64 bit. Hopefully a new version will be released soon. This lag in OS support from RA has caused me grief on many projects too.

I've never bought a server with an OS pre-installed on it, so I supposed I've never been treated to the skill and grace of Dell's enterprise-class sales representatives.

Maybe they don't ship servers with W2003 pre-installed on them anymore, but my reading of the PowerEdge compatibility matrix shows that 13 of 14 currently shipping models of Dell PowerEdge server support Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition 32-bit.

So I guess I just need to find a new supplier to get a 7-year old operating system from.

I could run a virtual machine or order without an OS but that doesn't solve the problem of where I'm going to get a Server 2003 license.

Again, I use volume licensing so I haven't been faced with a procurement issue. The couple of retail vendors I checked (CDW and Insight) both sell Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition, either retail or as part of a Windows 2008 downgrade rights license.

I don't know what kind of development and testing resources RA has on the Historian SE product right now; I expect there's a lot of Windows Server 2008 testing going on with the FT suite getting ready for the v6 release. Historian SE and the VantagePoint reporting client are going to probably going to get Server 2008 and 64-bit support separately.