Latop Died - Looking New...

Critt

Hello Everyone

I have been reading some posts about laptops and here is my problem.

I had an IBM T61 Thinkpad, which was great. I need something fast, but has a PCMCIA type II slot. I program, AB, Siemens, Schneider, Mits, and Omron so we load quick a bit of software.

Thanks

I also use a serial card (Socket I/O for RS-232), and Allen Bradley 1784-PCMK, and 1784-PCD.... Any chance to get these working with a new system?

Has anyone had luck with a laptop using Express Slot and using an adapter to PCMCIA Type II?

Have you read much about it on this forum? There are a multitude of issues based around Express Slot and PCMCIA when interfacing with AB in particular.

I know that keyspan make a good usb to serial converter that works with almost anything.

I love my Dell Precision M6400 laptop. It's big and bulky but I feel like I have a desktop system with me all the time. I'll take the power and performance as a trade off to lugging it around since I spend so much time with it on the road.

It has a PCMCIA and express slot. I use the AB PCMK card all the time. No serial port but my Keyspan adapter has always worked for me.

I like my Dell Vostro - no serial port at all. Running Windows 7, Virtual Box, XP mode etc for things that will not run on Windows 7.
I do not have to deal with AB on the new laptop but have an old one for that.
I run Siemens, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Schneider etc inside Virtual Box or XP Mode, and a lot of other things.
The various manufacturers were extremly slow to move to Vista and I guess they will also be terrible moving to Windows 7.
Omron were Windows 7 compliant within a month of the OS coming out. They are now also Windows 7 x 64 bit compliant. Wish the others would move as fast.
Funny thing, I have an Omron USB/Serial converter that just works with everything. It is an FTDIChip device and has been great. FTDIChip have Windows 7 x 64 bit drivers available on their website.
I also have a Belkin USB/serial converter. The damn thing used to drop out, stop working - you name it on XP Pro and Vista. Downloaded the latest Windows 7 driver for the device and the damn thing works without any of the problems previously encountered.
I also have a printer port, serial port, PCMCIA etc that plug in to the Card Bus port. My only complaint is that the damn things fall out because Card Bus do not appear to lock cards in securely enough when moving laptops all over the place in plant rooms. Half the time the laptop resides on my lap (hot goolies) and I am always moving around to get out of everyone elses way. They do not move for me though. Then the damn Card Bus converter falls out of the slot and I lose comms. Pain in the 'A'!!!

Last edited: