light curtain

lab

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, this is the first light curtain I've installed and I'm wondering if I should connnect it to the plc or if I should connect it to the incoming air supply, the machine that it is going to be connected to is an assembly machine and is operated by air cylinders. Should I connect it so that I have a solenoid connected to the output of the light curtain or go through the plc, the light curtain being the input and the sloenoid being the output.
Any help would be very helpful.
Thanxs in advance
Lab

I would hook the light curtain up to the PLC. This way you can control anything that you wish to. Or, depending on the system, you might also consider wiring it in series with the E-stop circuit.

A light curtain that is intended for safety should never be connected solely to a PLC input. You MUST hard wire it.
What you can do is wire the output of the PLC through the contacts of the light curtain. Also run the light curtain to the PLC input for monitoring purposes.

All safety rules require to hard wire light curtains.
IT MUST BE HARD WIRED TO BREAK POWER SOURCE .
Also it should use redundant contacts (dual chain) with external relay monitoring (also hard wired).
Normally LC must cut power source - simply cut power to PLC outputs.

LC must be tested every machine cycle if it was broken - this test can be done over PLC software, but hard wired to LC test circuit. ON-OFF-ON test prevents LC jumpering.

And signaling contact can be connected to PLC for LC status monitoring - not a primary control.

Don't forget document "safe distance calculation".

This may change soon, when safety PLCs will be widely available.

Let me know if you need more info, we did a lot of projects with different brands.

Last edited:
The light curtain in your system is just part of the safety system...you mentioned that you are controlling air / pneumatic cylinders. To comply to the Safety standard then u should probably be also installing a Safety Rated Air control valve which to do the same to the air supply. I have access to a brad called FluidSentry which comply fully to type 4. Email me if you want further information.

lab,

Mentioning light curtins can open a can of worms, as you probably notoced from the responses.
Firsly, you should determine what your light curtin is to do. Is it a safety device or is it simply a measurement device? If it is only for measurement and not safety, just wire it to a PLC input as you would any other device.
If it is for safety, then stop what you are doing, take a few deep breaths, and think for a bit.
The rest of my post will deal with the safety aspects.....
1, Know the rules....
Your local authorities will have a set of safety regulations and standards that you will have to follow. I would strongly advise against designing any safety related equipment unless you are familiar with these rules. Also note, if you are designing equipment for export to another reagion, you may have to check the rules for this reagion, since they are often different.
2, Risk assessment......
Most safety standards require different designs for different levels of risk. For low risk equipment, it may be acceptable to wire through an ordinary PLC. For equipment that can potentially cause injury or death, you must use some safety rated equipment. These are safety rated PLCs available, although if the one youv'e got is not safety rated I doubt you will be changing it. Instead you may have to run your light curtain through a safety relay.
3, Feedback......
Your safety circuit must be checked to ensure it has operated correctly when it operates. Light curtins generally have this built in, and using double contacts for electrical equipment with cross checking is normally well understood. The difficult part is isolation of air circuits. Generally you should use two solinoids in series with position feedback from the spools. without these, you cannot determine if a solenoid has failed or is correctly operating. You also must determine what ha[pens when you dump the pressue from the air lines, will anything drop?
4, Consultation......
You must also consult with your management team on your risk assessment and safety equipment.

Designing good safety systems needs careful planning and attention to detail. I would look carefully at your system before proceeding.

Doug

I could not aggree more with Doug.
BTW when i say that a product fully complys means that the product adheres to the said standards. You then need to use the product in the correct manner along with other safety systems to get overall safety system compliance.

The link to the Monitored Valve is

Fluidsentry