Unity Pro XL shift register

SLC500

Hey guys;

Im in between projects at the moment and I decided to mess around with Unity Pro XL as it will be the next PLC used on my next project. Years ago I messed around with shift registers and FIFOs on RS5 RS500 and a little bit with RS5000.

I was able to get them working with no trouble at all but this Unity has got me stumped. There seems to be so many blocks that can be used and I have not been able to get them to work at all. There is SHL SHR ROL and all the rest of that fun stuff. I have searched most of the day on this site and I understand the concept and even the examples I just can't seem to roll this knowledge into Unity.

The concept shown in this thread is all I really want to acheive. http://www.plcs.net/chapters/shift20.htm I don't want logic just an idea of which function to use that would lead me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Right click on any fbd and then help on this type. It will give you a detailed description of how the block functions etc.

Ok not sure if I am completly missing something here but I have not found any instructions that operate similar to what is shown in the shift register example

http://www.plcs.net/chapters/shift20.htm

I have read all the help files on anything that said it shifts bits and I have tested them but nothing seems to have what I am looking for. A Data input and a Clock input with a holding register where the Data moves on down the line.

Am I missing something here?

The clock is just used as a trigger to start the shift. So lets say you use a rising edge of a seconds pulse, every second it will shift the bits left or right(depending on the type of block you used). In unity when you have selected the block you want to use (lets say ror), enter the value you want rotated at the "in" leg. specify the amount of bits you want to rotate at the "n" leg. Now dbl click on the block. You will see there is a check box top right to show the enable leg. Tick this box. Now you will have an enable leg on the fbd.
You will link whatever you are going to use to trigger the block on the "enable" leg. You can put %s6 to test, which is a system bit that pulses every second. Remember to use rising or falling edges

Hope this is clear