OT LED Cube

Jezz

Hi All,
I'm waning to have a go at making an LED cube with my son
LED-Cube-4x4x4.jpg

I'm just tring to find some (cheap) way of controling it via my PC any one any ideas?

How old is your son? How much does he know about electrical?

If 8 or 9 I think better to start simple with switches etc to turn any number of lamps he wants on. Knife switches would be good choice - visible for open or shut. Ohms law parallel and all that theory stuff.

At opposite end of scale for all I know he is PhD electrical engineer working with IBM.

Dan Bentler

He's 13 and very keen to have a go, I was going to do it with switches first, then look at automating it, there seams to be a lot of stuff out there but I'm not sure what is going to be easiest and cheapest to start with.

He's 13 and very keen to have a go, I was going to do it with switches first, then look at automating it, there seams to be a lot of stuff out there but I'm not sure what is going to be easiest and cheapest to start with.

Seems to me if this is a project he is keen to go on let him start with design and do what he wants to do. Dad just sits behind and answers questions and give guidance.

Dan Bentler

Regarding interfacing to a PC, there are various USB I/O devices available for things like flight sim control panel that might do the trick at a reasonable cost. I haven't looked at pricing, but you've got to figure they are cheaper than real industrial I/O.