resolver

A resolver is absolute

It should never lose its home position unless it some how gets twisted on the shaft. Long ago I work with a resolver on a rack and pinion system. If the pinion gear skipped a spot the encoder would be off by on gear tooth spacing.
This wouldn't normally happen unless there was a collision that cause the pinion to skip a tooth.

Thanks for the response, No I had some ding dings take the motor and resolver off the jack screw, Then put it back on, so it lost its count and going around the world to find 0, is there a shorter way to reset it?

Was that resolver mounted to a servo motor, and wired to the motor servo controller/amp?

It might require that it is "mechanically clocked" exactly as it was originally built in order to work correctly again. I would advise against separating a servomotor from its resolver, unless you are certain you can restore the exact relationship when you put it back together.

Does the motor seem to run correctly, and smoothly? And, the jackscrew (driven load) can't "find home"? If so, it sounds like there's an external home sensor/signal somewhere on the machine that didn't get put back right or has failed.

If it's truly a resolver, Peter is right as far as homing. They're absolute; the resolver decoder will derive the angle of the shaft...depending on the system which contains that decoder, you may or may not be able to offset that value in software, to match the motor shaft position.

Last edited: