Panel view / HMI's

jeepmadmike

Hi all

I'm getting reasonably handy at basic ladder logic etc now but would love look into using a panel view or other HMIs

but I don't know where to start! I have a little project coming up soon which could be a great learning curve so:

If I'm using say A AB micrologix1200 PLC and have a panel view 300 100m away form the PLC how do i connect the to together? i assume its just a case of the correct cable and using the DH485 coms ports is it that simple?

What software is best to use for the programming of the panel view?

Has anyone know of any books which are worth reading on the subject?

Im sure its all out there somewhere but i find its difficult to find the answers without knowing the right questions to ask!

Thanks for reading my ramblings

Mike

Being honest, I'd say stay far far away from AB HMI's of any and all sorts. Take a look at the Red Lion G3 series, the G304K for a small terminal.

The software is downloadable fright from their site, and is free, so you can start getting the feel of things immediately.

Comms to a Micrologix is up to you, I'd probably just stick with straight DF1 serial though. For the distance, I'd use a pair serial cable extenders or 232/485 converters at each end, like from BB Electronics or BlackBox. For example: http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=391&TrailType=Sub&Trail=10

You can hook your PV 300 to your ML1200 via a null modem cable between your DB9 ports. You can solder one together for about six bucks or purchase a generic one premade for about 15 bucks.