SCADA with multiple PLC types

gareth_mint

sorry let me start by saying im not sure if this is the right forum area for this question, and my question might be simple for some.

In my factory we have multiple plc types which we would like to connect to a scada system, the plcs are all of the siemens (step 5 and 7) type, and AB (slc/micro logics/control logics and plc5, with either ethernet, dh+ and dh485)

the siemsms plc's will need to swap recipees with a database on the S7's.

im aware of what both siemens and rockwell have on offer, but what other systems are out there which are worth looking at?

thanks for looking at my thread

Hi Gareth,
(Full disclosure - let me state that I work for InduSoft)

InduSoft provides a development platform that includes all of the building blocks necessary for HMI/SCADA applications, including the communication drivers for the PLCs that you mentioned above. Because we only sell software, our goal is provide a product that offers maximum interoperability with the wide range of hardware and systems found in the industrial automation world.

All of the software packages mentioned in this thread are solid products and can likely accommodate your needs, so your decision will probably be affected by other considerations such as cost of ownership, ease of development, support, scalability, etc.... I encourage you to learn more about our IWS 7.0 product by visiting www.InduSoft.com ,where you will also be able to download a free evaluation copy of our software (http://www.indusoft.com/download_products.asp).

Good luck in your search and if you have any specific questions about our product feel free to ask or send me a private message.

thank you both for the replys , i will start phone around next week for more informations.
by the way when i wrote "the siemsms plc's will need to swap recipees with a database on the S7's." i ment "the siemsms plc's will need to swap recipees with a database on the scada."

thanks again for the replys

Citect SCADA has drivers for all PLC types you've mentioned built-in, so it would be usable. Furthermore you can download a full copy and use it in demo mode until you've determined what size of license you'll need, so you can start developing right away.

Kind regards,

I normally use Citect - by choice.
I have sites runniong with 4-5 brands of PLC, Ethernet, Ethernet I/P, serial, Modbus RTU, Omron Controller Link, BACnet to a BMS system, a huge mixture around the place.
There are very few drivers that Citect does not have.
BACnet requires a separate OPC driver as well, invariably AB need to sell you a driver, etc etc.
This is pretty normal though but it is possible and I have never found a job where Citect cannot perforem the function.